1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exergy Analysis of a Closed System

1. Aug 21, 2014 #1
    I was going through "Engineering Thermodynamics" by Cengel & Boles studying exergy analysis of a closed(non flow) system.Referring to the attachment as you can see the equation,

δWHE=δQ(1-T0/T)=δQ-T0/T.δQ

should give δQ=δWHE+T0dS (using dS=δQ/T)

but in the textbook it's given as,

δQ=δWHE-T0dS

Any thoughts on it?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2014 #2
    I have split the attachment and resized it for better view.Hope it's legible!!!

Attached Files:

4. Aug 21, 2014 #3
    For some reason this text defines the sign convention such that (-TdS= δQ). You might need to consult earlier chapters to understand why. It is more common to adopt (TdS= δQ)

5. Aug 21, 2014 #4
    I went through the textbook again and it says,

dS=(δQ/T)int reversible

and the direction of entropy transfer depends on the direction of heat transfer i.e, heat transfered to a system increases it entropy while heat transfer from a system decreases it.

Now if I wish to replace δQ/T with 'dS' in any equation is it necessary to take into account the sign convention?

NOTE:The system is rejecting heat and thus direction of heat transfer is such that would result in a decrease in entropy of the system.So for replacing δQ/T with 'dS' should I write δQ/T=-dS?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook