1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Existence of a limit point implies existence of inifintely many limit points?

1. Mar 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove the following statement is true or not:

the statement:
    Let [itex](X,d)[/itex] be a non-empty metric space and [itex]A[/itex] is a non-empty subset of [itex]X[/itex]. Then if [itex]A'[/itex] is not empty, then [itex]A'[/itex] is infinte.

2. Relevant equations
    Definition of limit point and its negation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to prove by contradiction in this way: (to prove the statement is true)
    Suppose [itex]p_{1},\dots,p_{N}[/itex] are limit points of [itex]A[/itex]. Since [itex]A[/itex] has a limit point, it is infinte. Now observe that if [itex]p'\in A,p\notin\{p_{1},\dots,p_{N}\}[/itex] then [itex]p'[/itex] is not a limit point of [itex]A[/itex], i.e., [itex]A\cap B(p';r_{p'})=\{p'\}[/itex] for some [itex]r_{p'}>0[/itex]. Thus [itex]A[/itex] has a kind of gap inside it.

But from here, I cannot go further. It almost seems that [itex]A'[/itex] finite is consistent.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Go with that. I can think of a metric space with one limit point. Can you?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  4. Mar 14, 2012 #3
    Sorry, I tried but couldn't think of one. Could you give me at least a hint? Like, what kind of metric space is it with what kind metric??

5. Mar 14, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, one obvious way to avoid "an infinite number of limit points" is to start with a space that only contains a finite number of points!

6. Mar 14, 2012 #5
    Humm.. But, you know, if a set has only finite points then there is no limit point of this set for whatever metric space is talked about. Isn't it?

7. Mar 14, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nothing fancy. Pick a subset of the real numbers. They should be discrete but approach a single limit point. Like 0.

8. Mar 14, 2012 #7
    Wow, this one right? [itex]\bigcup_{n=1}^{\infty}\{-\frac{1}{n},\frac{1}{n}\}[/itex].

9. Mar 14, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks generally ok to me. But I think you want to include 0 in your subset. What do you think?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  10. Mar 15, 2012 #9
    Ah... I think it's okay to disprove the statement. I showed that A' is not empty but finite anyway. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook