1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exp(tanz) = 1, complex analysis

1. Jun 15, 2007 #1

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find all solutions to:

[tex]e^{\tan z} =1, z\in \mathbb{C}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

z = x+yi

[tex]\log z = ln|z| + iargz +2\pihi, h\in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

[tex]\log e^{z} = x + iy +2\pihi, h\in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

[tex]Log e^{z} = x + iy[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I do not really know how to approach this, I tried to beging with writing tan(z) as Alots of cos(x)sinh(y) etc..

But can I do the Log(e^tan(z)) at the left side, then do the log(1) at the right side? I mean the "only" difference is that you get this [tex]2\pihi, h\in \mathbb{Z}[/tex] on both sides, so you always reduce both these terms to one: [tex]2\piUi, U\in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, taking logs you get tan(z)=2*pi*i*n (yes, no need for separate 2*pi*i*n's on both sides. Why not write tan(z) in terms of complex exponentials, let t=e^(iz) and solve the resulting quadratic for t? Guess I'm not sure where you are having problems.

4. Jun 15, 2007 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

so if I write

[tex] \tan z =\dfrac{1}{i} \dfrac{t-t^{-1}}{t+t^{-1}} = \dfrac{1}{i} \dfrac{t^{2}-1}{t^{2}+1} [/tex]

then perform the Log(e^tanz) on left side, then log(1) on right side, is that a "legal" act? or do I have to take log - log /// Log - Log ?..

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  5. Jun 15, 2007 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

or you mean AFTER taking log's i write tanz as that?

6. Jun 15, 2007 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

okay this is as far I can get:

[tex] e^{iz} = t [/tex]

[tex] z = - i \ln |t| + argt[/tex]

[tex]
    \tan z = \dfrac{1}{i} \dfrac{t^{2}-1}{t^{2}+1}; t^{2} \neq -1; \Rightarrow t \neq \pm i
    [/tex]

[tex] \tan z = \log 1 = 0 +0i + 2\pi ni; n \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \dfrac{1}{i} \dfrac{t^{2}-1}{t^{2}+1} = 2\pi ni[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \dfrac{t^{2}-1}{t^{2}+1} = -2\pi n[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow t^{2}-1 = -2\pi n(t^{2}+1) [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow t = \pm \sqrt{\dfrac{2\pi n-1}{2\pi n+1}} \neq -1[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow n \neq 0 [/tex]

[tex] t_{1} = "+"sqrt(.. \Rightarrow arg(t_{1}) = 0 + 2\pi k, k \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]
    [tex] t_{2} = "-"sqrt(.. \Rightarrow arg(t_{2}) = \pi + 2\pi k[/tex]

it can be shown that t is always real, if n = -2, we get a negative nominator and a negative denominator, hence the number inside the squareroot is always positive.

[tex] z_{1} = - \dfrac{i}{2} \ln \left( \dfrac{2\pi n-1}{2\pi n+1} \right) + \pi + 2\pi k[/tex]

[tex] z_{2} = - \dfrac{i}{2} \ln \left( \dfrac{2\pi n-1}{2\pi n+1} \right) + 2\pi k[/tex]

Answer in textbook:

[tex] z = k\pi [/tex]

and:

[tex] z = \dfrac{i}{2} \ln \left( \dfrac{2\pi n-1}{2\pi n+1} \right) + \frac{\pi}{2} + 2\pi k[/tex]

LOL I am soooo cloose!! =(

7. Jun 15, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get t^2=(1-2*pi*n)/(1+2*pi*n). So I get a number that is always negative. So I agree with the pi/2 phase in the book answer. But I get +/-pi/2+2*pi*k which is the same thing as pi/2+pi*k. But I'm also getting -i/2 in front of the log. (But I seem to get the right answer with either sign - this is troubling me).

8. Jun 15, 2007 #7

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes I did a relly sucky thing in getting the t^2.. I should be ashamed! :)

if n = 0 then it is positive, right? But can not be zero according to the aswer, now why is that?

9. Jun 15, 2007 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Aggghhh. And get this, the sign in front of the log doesn't matter either. Take for example the cases n=1 and n=-1. The arguments of the logs are just reciprocals of each other. Must be fun to create obfuscated answers for these things.

10. Jun 15, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

n=0 gives you the real solutions, the k*pi list. Not to hard so see working it as a separate case.

11. Jun 15, 2007 #10

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I got it now, thanx again for all the help. I hope i did not made you indignant.

12. Jun 15, 2007 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was working to hard to correct my own blunders to become indignant over yours. :smile:

13. Jun 15, 2007 #12

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I dont understand why the answers must be so "clean".. it only cunfuses and does not get you learn more about the actual subject.

14. Jun 16, 2007 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It can be helpful to numerically evaluate a few cases of a solution for small n,k etc and then compare with yours. It's pretty clear when they don't agree - and if they do it can help to make it clearer why.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?