Expanding delta in Field Theory Derivation of Euler-Lagrange Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a specific step in the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equations in classical field theory. The step in question involves the reverse product rule and the commutative property of variations in calculus. The person providing the summary admits to having limited knowledge on the subject and suggests further research on the topic.
chuchi
Every time I try to read Peskin & Schroeder I run into a brick wall on page 15 (section 2.2) when they quickly derive the Euler-Lagrange Equations in classical field theory. The relevant step is this:

[itex]\frac{∂L}{∂(∂_{μ}\phi)} δ(∂_{μ}\phi) [/itex]

[itex]= -∂_{μ}( \frac{∂L}{∂(∂_{μ}\phi)}) δ(\phi) + ∂_{μ} (\frac{∂L}{∂(∂_{μ}\phi)} δ(\phi)) [/itex]

How can we even extract anything within that delta? How does that even work? I feel like I'm missing some basic calculus here, but can't find anything in my textbooks or google.

(those "L"s are supposed to be Lagrangian densities, I just don't know the curly script for L in latex)

Physics news on Phys.org
This appears to be an application of the reverse product rule. Starting from the second step and working backwards;

[itex] -∂_{μ}( \frac{∂L}{∂(∂_{μ}\phi)}) δ(\phi) + ∂_{μ} (\frac{∂L}{∂(∂_{μ}\phi)} δ(\phi)) = -∂_{μ}( \frac{∂L}{∂(∂_{μ}\phi)}) δ(\phi) + ∂_{μ}( \frac{∂L}{∂(∂_{μ}\phi)}) δ(\phi) + \frac{∂L}{∂(∂_{μ}\phi)} ∂_{μ}(δ(\phi)) [/itex]

[itex] = \frac{∂L}{∂(∂_{μ}\phi)} ∂_{μ}(δ(\phi)) [/itex]

I'm not sure about this last step...

[itex] = \frac{∂L}{∂(∂_{μ}\phi)} δ(∂_{μ}\phi) [/itex]

Hmm, I understand it's the last step you don't understand. Well it must be valid if the derivation is correct. You'll just have to figure out why;

[itex]∂_{μ}(δ(\phi)) = δ(∂_{μ}\phi)[/itex]

Sorry I can't help with that, I don't know anything about classical field theory or the Euler-Lagrange equations.

Last edited:
Let me preface I know very little about Field Theory, so please take my reply with caution.
On the other hand, the step in question seems to me stemming from basic calculus of variations (but care needs to be exterted as there are different definitions of variations around).
If you search under "commutative rule" (i.e. on the property of certain variations to commute, i.e. the variation of the velocity is equal to the time-derivative of the variation, for example in classical mechanics) in Calculus of variations you will find relevant material.

What is the expanding delta in field theory?

The expanding delta, also known as the variation or functional derivative, is a mathematical concept used in field theory to calculate the change in a functional (a functional is a function that takes in functions as inputs) with respect to a small change in a function. It is represented by the symbol Δ and is an important tool in deriving the Euler-Lagrange equations.

Why is the expanding delta important in field theory?

The expanding delta is important because it allows us to find the critical points, or extrema, of a functional, which are essential in solving problems in field theory. It also plays a crucial role in the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equations, which are fundamental equations in the field of calculus of variations.

What is the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equations?

The derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equations involves using the expanding delta to find the critical points of a functional, and then applying the Euler-Lagrange equations to these critical points. These equations are a set of necessary conditions that a function must satisfy in order to be a critical point of a functional.

How are the Euler-Lagrange equations used in field theory?

The Euler-Lagrange equations are used in field theory to solve various problems, such as finding the path that a particle will take in a given field or determining the equations of motion for a system. They are also used to derive other important equations, such as the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics.

What are some applications of the expanding delta and Euler-Lagrange equations?

The expanding delta and Euler-Lagrange equations have many applications in physics and engineering. They are commonly used in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and general relativity to solve problems involving variational principles. They are also used in optimization problems, control theory, and other areas of mathematics.