Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expanding delta in Field Theory Derivation of Euler-Lagrange Equations

1. Feb 23, 2014 #1
    Every time I try to read Peskin & Schroeder I run into a brick wall on page 15 (section 2.2) when they quickly derive the Euler-Lagrange Equations in classical field theory. The relevant step is this:

[itex]\frac{∂L}{∂(∂_{μ}\phi)} δ(∂_{μ}\phi) [/itex]

[itex]= -∂_{μ}( \frac{∂L}{∂(∂_{μ}\phi)}) δ(\phi) + ∂_{μ} (\frac{∂L}{∂(∂_{μ}\phi)} δ(\phi)) [/itex]

How can we even extract anything within that delta? How does that even work? I feel like I'm missing some basic calculus here, but can't find anything in my textbooks or google.

(those "L"s are supposed to be Lagrangian densities, I just don't know the curly script for L in latex. all of this is inside an integral and there's another term, but neither of those change. I also posted to calculus but no one knew enough.)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2014 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

I don't understand what you're asking, but here's what's going on.

First of all, for the purposes of this equation, we don't need any properties of [itex]\frac{∂L}{∂(∂_{μ}\phi)}[/itex], so I will just call it [itex]V^\mu[/itex].

Now, the meaning of [itex]\delta X[/itex], where [itex]X[/itex] is anything that depends on the field [itex]\phi[/itex], is this: we take the field [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] and replace it with [itex]\phi(x)+\delta\phi(x)[/itex], where [itex]\delta\phi(x)[/itex] is "small". Then [itex]X[/itex] becomes [itex]X+\delta X[/itex], and we have to work out what [itex]\delta X[/itex] is in terms of [itex]\delta\phi[/itex].

For your equation, we take [itex]X=\partial_\mu\phi(x)[/itex]. Now this is very simple: [itex]\delta X=\partial_\mu\delta\phi[/itex]. Stare at that until you are sure you understand it.

The next important fact is that what I am calling [itex]\delta X[/itex] for [itex]X=\partial_\mu\phi[/itex] is what P&S call [itex]\delta(\partial_\mu\phi)[/itex].

The rest is trivial calculus. By the product rule for derivatives, [itex]\partial_\mu(V^\mu\delta\phi)=(\partial_\mu V^\mu)\delta\phi+V^\mu(\partial_\mu\delta\phi)[/itex]. Rearrange that to get your equation.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  4. Feb 24, 2014 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Adding a small thing: it's \mathcal{L} that produces [itex] \mathcal{L}[/itex] to denote either the Lorentz group, or the Lagrangian density.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook