1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expansion of a point-charge potential

1. Aug 20, 2010 #1
    I'm currently trying to manipulate the expansion

[tex]\frac{1}{|x_1-x_2|} = \sum_{l=0} \frac{r_{<}^l}{r_{>}^{l+1}}P_{l}\left(cos\left(\gamma\right)\right)[/tex]

Where r< is the lesser of |x1| and |x2| and P_l are the legendre polynomials.

I have included up to 4 terms and the resultant potential isn't resembling the expected potential curve. Does anyone have any experience with such expansions, or would you recommend a different expansion (I ultimately need it to make a function integrable) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the resultant potential you are getting, and what were you expecting? What exactly are you trying to make integrable?

4. Aug 21, 2010 #3

alxm

Science Advisor

Here you go:
    Carlson and Rushbrooke, "On the expansion of a coulomb potential in spherical harmonics"
    Mathematical Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society (1950), 46: 626-633
    doi:10.1017/S0305004100026190

Equations Ia and Ib give you the correct expansion.

5. Aug 26, 2010 #4
    Hi, thanks. I have implemented Ib and it seems to have made an improvement.

gabbagabbahey: When considering |x1-X|^-1: If X is close to the origin and on the z axis, I get a predictable approximation to |x1-X|^-1 (i.e. If I plot the approximate potential across the singularity, I get a finite peak). However, if X is placed further away from the origin, the potential changes, and a caldera forms. I ultimately am constructing plane-wave molecular integrals, so perhaps this isn't even the best approach.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook