1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation value of a SUM using Dirac notation

1. Dec 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a one-dimensional particle subject to the Hamiltonian H with wavefunction [tex]\Psi(r,t) =\sum_{n=1}^{2} a_{n}\Psi _{n}(x)e^{\frac{-iE_{n}t}{\hbar}}[/tex]
    where [tex]H\Psi _{n}(x)=E_{n}\Psi _{n}(x)[/tex] and where [tex]a_{1} = a_{2} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]. Calculate the expectation value of the Hamiltonian with respect to [tex]\Psi (x,t)[/tex]? Which energy eigenvalue is the most likely outcome when we measure the energy of particle once?

2. Relevant equations
    Given in the question.

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\Psi(r,t) =\sum_{n=1}^{2} a_{n}\Psi _{n}(x)e^{\frac{-iE_{n}t}{\hbar}}[/tex]

let [tex]\Psi_{1}(r,t) =a_{1}\Psi _{1}(x)e^{\frac{-iE_{1}t}{\hbar}}[/tex] and [tex]\Psi_{2}(r,t) =a_{2}\Psi _{2}(x)e^{\frac{-iE_{2}t}{\hbar}}[/tex]

therefore [tex]\left \langle H \right \rangle = \left \langle \Psi _{1}+ \Psi _{2}|H |\Psi _{1}+ \Psi _{2}\right \rangle[/tex]

which gives [tex]\left \langle H \right \rangle = (E_{1}+ E_{2}) \left \langle \Psi _{1}+ \Psi _{2}|\Psi _{1}+ \Psi _{2}\right \rangle[/tex]

but not sure what to do now? is this the best way to do this? the trouble im having is using bra ket notation to work with a sum of wavefunctions.

any advice on this would really be appreciated!

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2014 #2
    Are the wavefunctions orthonormal, if so what happens then?

4. Dec 2, 2014 #3
    [tex](E_{1}+ E_{2}) \left \langle \Psi _{1}+ \Psi _{2}|\Psi _{1}+ \Psi _{2}\right \rangle[/tex]

Yes, hence the bra ket term above would equal 1. However I need to get the [tex]a_{1} and a_{2}[/tex] out of there. we did a degenerate problem in bra and ket that gave:

[tex]a_{1}\left \langle \Psi _{1} |H| \Psi _{1} \right \rangle + a_{2}\left \langle \Psi _{2} |H| \Psi _{2} \right \rangle + a_{1}\left \langle \Psi _{1} |V| \Psi _{1} \right \rangle + a_{2}\left \langle \Psi _{2} |V| \Psi _{2} \right \rangle = Ea_{1}\left \langle \Psi _{1}|\Psi _{1} \right \rangle + Ea_{2}\left \langle \Psi _{1}|\Psi _{2} \right \rangle[/tex]

and was much easier to simplify, for example the exponential terms in my question will not go to 1, because there are 2 different energy levels. how do I deal with these extra terms in bra ket notation?

many thanks for the reply!

5. Dec 2, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By defining ##\Psi_{1}(r,t)## and then dropping the (r,t) you cause confusion between your ##\Psi_{1}(r,t)## and the eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian ##\Psi_{1}(x)##.

The "which gives" that follows is not correct:
    $$H \left |\; a_1\Psi _{1}(x)e^{\frac{-iE_{1}t}{\hbar}}+ a_2\Psi _{2}(x)e^{\frac{-iE_{2}t}{\hbar}}\right \rangle = E_1 a_1 \left | \Psi _{1}(x) \right > e^{\frac{-iE_{1}t}{\hbar}} + E_2 a_2 \left | \Psi _{2}(x) \right > e^{\frac{-iE_{2}t}{\hbar}} $$

6. Dec 2, 2014 #5

Thanks, I didnt realise you could put everything in a ket like that, it's a little messy, but yes you answered my question. I will work through the problem and see where it goes.

Many thanks for all the help, really appreciated!

7. Dec 3, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't forget to take complex conjugates when you take factors like ##a_1\; e^{\frac{-iE_{1}t}{\hbar}}## outside the bra state

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted