1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation value of momentum in symmetric 2D H.O

1. Jun 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the following inital states of the symmetric 2D harmonic oscillator

ket (phi 1) = 1/sqrt(2) (ket(0)_x ket(1)_y + ket (1)_x ket (0)_y)

ket (phi 2) = 1/sqrt(2) (ket(0)_x ket(0)_y + ket (1)_x ket (0)_y)

Calculate the <p_x (t)> for each state

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure how to work with these kets, I know that for the expectation value using you would do
    <phi_1 | p_x (t) | phi_2>

but I don't know how to represent p_x (t) in the notation used in the kets

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The expectation value for an operator on a state is <state 1| operator |state 1>. You wrote <state 1| operator |state 2>. Note the 2 in the last ket. That's a transition amplitude as induced by the operator.

Look in your text for a representation of the momentum operator. You should find it near he Heisenberg uncertainty formula, or the Schrodinger equation or some such. You probably want a derivative with some constants.

Notice that the problem says "initial states." So these are not the wave functions. These are the t=0 values. It does not give the x dependence, nor the t dependence. You will need to do some reading in your text to find the 2-D harmonic oscillator and the general solution for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted