1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation Values for momentum and a particle in a square well

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the expectation values of p and p2 for a particle in state n=2 in a square well potential.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\Psi[/itex](x,y) = (2/L)*sin(n1[itex]\pi[/itex]x/L)*sin(n2[itex]\pi[/itex]y/L)

p= -i[itex]\hbar[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\Psi[/itex]p[itex]\Psi[/itex]dxdy limits being from 0 to L for both.

I derived the two dimension wave equation using separation of variables. This is where I had some questions. For the state n=2, does that mean both n1 and n2 equal 2 or does one of them equal 1 and the other 2 since from what I understand 1,2 would be the next highest energy level. Also as I was integrating, the x portion integrated nicely due to the momentum operator while the y portion stayed rather "unclean". Was I suppose to apply the momentum operator in both the x and y direction?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know what n=2 is supposed to mean for a two dimensional square well where you have two quantum numbers. Are you sure they don't mean a one dimensional problem? That's also called a 'square well' referring to the shape of the potential. Square doesn't necessarily mean two dimensions.

4. Aug 31, 2011 #3
    Completely forgot I posted here, and yes I just realized that it's just a one dimensional well after lots of thinking...it's been a long a day heh. Thanks for the input though!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook