Expected value for momentum and x, intro to quantum mechanics.

In summary, the conversation discusses a free particle with zero potential energy and its state being prepared in a given time. The particle is prepared in a state described as Ψ (x, t = 0) = ψ (x) exp (ikx). The value of <p> at time t = 0 is independent of time for a free particle in quantum mechanics, similar to Newton's first law in classical mechanics. The equation for <p> is <p> = ∫ψ(x) exp (-ikx). -iℏ.dψ(x)/dx.dx, and the integral of psi2dx equals 1. The value of <x> as a function of time is not discussed. The attempt
scottyavh

Homework Statement

Consider first a free particle (Potential energy zero everywhere). When the particle at
a given time is prepared in a state ψ (x) it has

<x> = 0 and <p> = 0.

The particle is now prepared in Ψ (x, t = 0) = ψ (x) exp (ikx)

Give <p> at time t = 0.

It can be shown that in quantum mechanics <p> is independent of time for a free
particle, in analogy to Newton’s first law in classical mechanics. Give <x> as a
function of time.

Homework Equations

<p> = [itex]\int\Psi*(-i[/itex][itex]\hbar[/itex]d/dx)[itex]\Psi[/itex]dx (Should be a partial derivative
I just don't know how to write that, also integral is from -infinity to +infinity, same for all
I write further down too)

The Attempt at a Solution

The attempt at a solution:

Basically substituting straight into the equation I gave above:

<p> = ∫ψ(x)exp(-ikx).-i[itex]\hbar[/itex].d/dx[ψ(x)exp(ikx)]dx

I guessed that I have to use the product rule for the second half of that so I get:

<p> = ∫ψ(x)exp(-ikx).-i[itex]\hbar[/itex].dψ(x)/dx.exp(ikx)]dx+∫ψ(x)exp(-ikx).-i[itex]\hbar[/itex].ψ(x)ik.exp(ikx)]dx

This is where my complete lack of experience shows if not already. Simplifying the first integral, the exponents add to zero for the exp() terms so they cancel. Also, dψ/dx.dx can be simplified to dψ. This leaves the term in the fist integral as -i[itex]\hbar[/itex]ψ.dψ.

Simplifying the term in the second integral I use the same exponent rule to cancel those and also --i.i = 1. That leaves, in the second integral, the term [itex]\hbar[/itex]kψ2dx.

I've been doing educated guessing up to here but now I really start guessing.
I have:

<p> = -i[itex]\hbar[/itex]∫ψ(x)dx+[itex]\hbar[/itex]k∫ψ2(x)dx

And by some math voodoo and because I saw somewhere that the integral of psi2dx = 1, I get zero for the first integral and <p> = [itex]\hbar[/itex]k. I suspect I am wrong at many different points for so many different reasons. I hope this doesn't hurt too many people reading it.

As for the second part, finding <x> as a function of t, I have no idea where to start so even a pointer or two would be appreciated for that. If anyone could point out the numerous mistakes that are no doubt in my attempt at the first part I would also be very grateful. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hey, welcome to physicsforums!
You've got it mostly right. But you need to remember that ψ (x) is a complex number generally, so when you take the complex conjugate of the full wavefunction, this bit is going to become its complex conjugate too. And that is how you get psi2dx in the second integral. (Because this is psi times its complex conjugate, not squared).

Also, in the first integral, you got to ∫ψ(x).-iℏ.dψ(x)/dx.dx and then you wrote it as -iℏψ.dψ which is fine, but then you never showed why this is zero. To be honest, I don't think it helps to re-write it as -iℏψ.dψ And instead, you should leave it as ∫ψ(x).-iℏ.dψ(x)/dx.dx (again, the psi on the left should actually be the complex conjugate). But anyway, if you look at this integral, then think: does it relate to an expectation value of psi ? (Maybe you realized this and didn't remember to write it down, but it is the key step!)

What is the expected value for momentum in quantum mechanics?

The expected value for momentum in quantum mechanics is given by the formula 𝐸(𝑝) = ∫ 𝑝𝑝(𝑝)𝑑𝑝, where 𝑝(𝑝) is the probability distribution function for momentum. This value represents the average momentum of a system and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

What is the expected value for position (x) in quantum mechanics?

The expected value for position in quantum mechanics is given by the formula 𝐸(𝑥) = ∫ 𝑥𝑥(𝑥)𝑑𝑥, where 𝑥(𝑥) is the probability distribution function for position. This value represents the average position of a system and is another important concept in quantum mechanics.

How is the expected value for momentum related to the uncertainty principle?

The expected value for momentum and the uncertainty principle are closely related. According to the uncertainty principle, there is a limit to the accuracy with which we can simultaneously measure the position and momentum of a particle. This is because the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less certain we are about its momentum and vice versa. Therefore, the expected value for momentum can only be known within a certain range of uncertainty.

What is the significance of the expected value for momentum and position in quantum mechanics?

The expected value for momentum and position are important concepts in quantum mechanics as they provide a way to mathematically describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. These values represent the average behavior of a system and can be used to make predictions about the behavior of particles in different scenarios.

Can the expected value for momentum and position be measured directly?

No, the expected value for momentum and position cannot be measured directly. They are mathematical concepts that represent the average behavior of a system and cannot be directly observed. However, they can be calculated using the probability distribution functions and can be indirectly inferred through experimental measurements.