Expectation values of the quantum harmonic oscillator

In summary: Hint #2: I suspect you can do this using Linear Algebra, without resorting to integration.In summary, the mean position and momentum of a particle in a QHO in the state ψγ can be expressed as:<x> = sqrt(2ħ/mω) Re(γ)<p> = sqrt (2ħmω) Im(γ)where γ is a complex parameter and a_ψγ(x) = γψγ(x). To find these values, the position and momentum operators can be expressed in terms of the raising and lowering operators using linear algebra. This method does not require integration.
Dean Navels

Homework Statement

Show the mean position and momentum of a particle in a QHO in the state ψγ to be:

<x> = sqrt(2ħ/mω) Re(γ)
<p> = sqrt (2ħmω) Im(γ)

Homework Equations

##\psi_{\gamma} (x) = Dexp((-\frac{mw(x-<x>)^2}{2\hbar})+\frac{i<p>(x-<x>)}{ħ})##

The Attempt at a Solution

I put ψγ into the equation

<p> = ∫[ψ(x,t)]* (-iħψ'(x)) dx

Which gave me

(-(mω(x-<x>)/ħ)+((<p>)(i/ħ))*ψγ which I can't help but feel is taking me further away from what I'm looking for. Are there easier alternative route to doing this?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dean Navels said:

Homework Statement

Show the mean position and momentum of a particle in a QHO in the state ψγ to be:

<x> = sqrt(2ħ/mω) Re(γ)
<p> = sqrt (2ħmω) Im(γ)

Homework Equations

ψγ = Dexp(-((mω(x-<x>)^2)/(2ħ))+ ((<p>)*(i/ħ)(x-<x>)))

How is ##\psi_{\gamma}## defined? That expression has no ##\gamma## in it, but it does have the expected values of ##x## and ##p##.

It's hard to read your latex. I'll post some you can copy in a minute.

Some latex:

##\psi_0 = (\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^{\frac14}exp(-\frac{mwx^2}{2\hbar})##

##\psi_{\gamma} = ?##

If you reply to this post, it will give you something to cut and paste.

PeroK said:
Some latex:

##\psi_{\gamma} = ?##

I've edited it accordingly

Dean Navels said:
##\psi_{\gamma} (x) = Dexp((-\frac{mw(x-<x>)^2}{2\hbar})+\frac{i<p>(x-<x>)}{ħ})##

What's ##\gamma##?

PeroK said:
Some latex:

##\psi_{\gamma} = ?##

PeroK said:
What's ##\gamma##?
i haven't got that information, ψγ represents coherent states.

Dean Navels said:
i haven't got that information, ψγ represents coherent states.

Given that the required answer (for the expectation values) depends on ##\gamma##, it must be a parameter in the state. You need to check the question.

PeroK said:
Given that the required answer (for the expectation values) depends on ##\gamma##, it must be a parameter in the state. You need to check the question.
Just realized I have missed a little bit out,

γ is a complex parameter and
a_ψγ(x) = γψγ(x)

That's 100% all the information I have now

Dean Navels said:
Just realized I have missed a little bit out,

γ is a complex parameter and
a_ψγ(x) = γψγ(x)

That's 100% all the information I have now

That's entirely different. That means that ##\psi_{\gamma}## is an eigenstate of the lowering operator, corresponding to eigenvalue ##\gamma##.

The expression you quoted for ##\psi_{\gamma}## before makes no sense.

Hint: can you express the position and momentum operators in terms of the raising and lowering operators?

HInt #2: I suspect you can do this using Linear Algebra, without resorting to integration.

Likes Dean Navels

1. What is the quantum harmonic oscillator?

The quantum harmonic oscillator is a model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle in a potential well that is similar to the motion of a simple harmonic oscillator in classical mechanics.

2. What are expectation values?

Expectation values are the average values of a physical observable in quantum mechanics. They represent the most probable outcome of a measurement of that observable.

3. How are expectation values calculated in the quantum harmonic oscillator?

In the quantum harmonic oscillator, expectation values are calculated by taking the integral of the observable operator over the wavefunction of the system. This gives the average value of the observable for that particular state of the system.

4. What do expectation values tell us about the quantum harmonic oscillator?

Expectation values provide important information about the behavior of the quantum harmonic oscillator. They can tell us about the average energy, position, and momentum of the particle in the oscillator, and how these values change over time.

5. How do expectation values differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the values of physical observables are considered to be definite and precise. In quantum mechanics, however, the values are described by a probability distribution. Expectation values represent the most likely value of an observable, but there is always some uncertainty in the actual measurement due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.