1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing the expectation values of a system are real quantities

1. Sep 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A one-dimension system is in a state described by the normalisable wave function Ψ(x,t) i.e. Ψ → 0 for x → ±∞.

(a) Show that the expectation value of the position ⟨x⟩ is a real quantity. [1]

(b) Show that the expectation value of the momentum in the x-direction ⟨p⟩ is a real quantity, too. Hint: using integration by parts and normalisability show that ⟨pˆx⟩ = ⟨p⟩∗. [4]

2. Relevant equations

1=N∫ψ*ψ.dx

<x>=∫ψ* xψ.dx over all space

<p>=∫ψ* -ih dψ/dx.dx over all space

3. The attempt at a solution

The difficult aspect of this for me is determining what the correct wave function is. Using the information given I assumed that the correct wave function was e-ax2/2 eiEt/h (where a/2 is an arbitrary constant) as it fits the above requirements (I could be wrong.)

However, upon normalising and calculating <x> and <p>, the values obtained will of course will be 0 and therefore real as my assumption was a symmetric wave function. This is all well and good, however the question explicitly states to use integration by parts to solve for <p>.

<p>=N∫(e-ax2/2 eiEt/h) -ih d/dx(e-ax2/2 e-iEt/h).dx over all space

which gave:

<p>=N iha∫xe-ax2.dx over all space

which cannot be integrated by parts as far as I understand-perhaps it can?. Have I got the wrong end of the stick somewhere in my thinking?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2013 #2
    You wave function is incorrect. Do not plug it in until you have done the math. You do not even need a "test" wavefunction for part a.

4. Sep 28, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the prompt reply, but I don't quite follow. Could you clarify what you mean by 'not needing a wave function'? I feel I am approaching the problem from the wrong angle.

5. Oct 1, 2013 #4
    Hmm, perhaps forget what I mentioned previously. You simply need to reconsider your wave function. Perhaps try something of the form [itex] \psi = e^{\pm i(kx-E t/ \hbar)} [/itex]. . .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted