1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected value of a semicircle

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Point is chosen at random (uniform PDF) within semi-circle: {(x,y)|x2+y2≤r2, y≥0}

Basically, I'm supposed to find E[X] for this problem

2. The attempt at a solution

I know how to do it, in a very long-winded fashion
    (find fY(y), and E[X|Y=y] etc).
    But my teacher says that there is an easier way that doesn't involve a lot of calculations, anyone see it?
    Thanks

EDIT;;;;

I think i might have gotten it, because the semicircle is an even function, the expected value of the first moment is 0. Can someone confirm this also?
    Also, does this apply to a regular circle as well?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

That is not a precise statement. What function are you referring to? If you are referring to the equation for the boundary of the semi-circle, that doesn't justify any conclusions about the moment of X.
    You could argue by symmetry if the distribution function that the mean value of X in the semicircle is 0. ( Don't say "expected value of the first moment" because the first moment of X is the expected value of X.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook