1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the expected value of a continuous variable with pdf fy= y^(-2)?

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the expected value of a continuous variable y with pdf fy= alpha*y^-2, 0<y<infinity.

I know it is the integral from zero to infinity of y*fy, but I don't know where to go from there. I'm then supposed to use the expected value to find the method of moments estimator.

Does this pdf fall under a certain type of distribution?
    Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What is f(y) if y≤0?

The next step is to write out the integral and carry it out.
    But I'm thinking there is information not included?

4. Oct 11, 2012 #3
    @Simon Bridge.

No. That's all I'm given.

f(y;alpha)= alpha*y^(-2) 0<alpha<= y< infinity.

It says to determine E(Y) and then find the method of moments estimator of alpha.

The integral of y*fy gives me [alpha* lny] evaluated from zero to infinity, but isn't it infinity?

5. Oct 11, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

$$f(y;\alpha) = \frac{\alpha}{y^2}: 0 < \alpha \leq y < \infty$$
    Well then it cannot be done because the function in not determined for part of the range... though the above is already different from what you gave in post #1. Perhaps the extra information is implicit in the context - in your course notes for eg?

Perhaps you are supposed to assume the pdf is zero outside the given range?
    But maybe you are supposed to evaluate from ##\alpha## to ##\infty##?
    Still not much help -

And what about normalization? Isn't $$\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(y)dy=1$$ ... unless ##\alpha## is a function of y?

I'd go ask the person who set the problem. (After checking with other students.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_moments_(statistics [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Oct 11, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is standard to define a probability density on a restricted range- it does not have to be from negative infinity to infinity. However, the first given problem, from 0 to infinity has that the problem that the integral goes to infinity. The revised problem, from [itex]\alpha[/itex] to infinity, is good:
    [tex]\int_\alpha^\infty \frac{\alpha}{y^2}dy= \alpha\int_\alpha^\infty y^{-2}dy= \alpha\left[-\frac{1}{y}\right]_\alpha^\infty= 1[/tex]

And the expected value is just [itex]\int yf(y)dy[/itex] which, for this problem, is
    [tex]\alpha\int_{\alpha}^\infty \frac{1}{y}dy[/tex]
    Now that has a problem at infinity!

7. Oct 11, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There IS NO SUCH probability density function! What you have integrates to +∞ for any α > 0, so cannot integrate to 1. Are you really sure you have written the question correctly?

RGV

8. Oct 11, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it doesn't. The integral of [itex]\alpha y^{-2}[itex], from [itex]\alpha[/itex] to infinity is 1 so it is a pdf. It just does not have finite expected value.

9. Oct 11, 2012 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, I missed the revised statement that had y ε [α,∞) instead of [0,∞).

However, there is still a problem with EY, so I still wonder if the question has been stated correctly.

RGV

10. Oct 11, 2012 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... are the other moments finite?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook