Expected value of momentum P in terms of k

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 908 views
Kyuubi
Messages
18
Reaction score
8
Homework Statement
Just need to clarify this point.
Relevant Equations
$$ \langle p \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\bar{\phi}(p,t) p \phi(p,t)dp $$
Now if I'm given a ##\phi(k)##, and I'm asked to find ##\langle p \rangle##, ##\langle p^2 \rangle##, etc. Am I justified to say that ##\langle p \rangle = \hbar \langle k \rangle## and that ##\langle p^2 \rangle = \hbar^2 \langle k^2 \rangle## ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Kyuubi said:
Homework Statement: Just need to clarify this point.
Relevant Equations: $$ \langle p \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\bar{\phi}(p,t) p \phi(p,t)dp $$

Now if I'm given a ##\phi(k)##, and I'm asked to find ##\langle p \rangle##, ##\langle p^2 \rangle##, etc. Am I justified to say that ##\langle p \rangle = \hbar \langle k \rangle## and that ##\langle p^2 \rangle = \hbar^2 \langle k^2 \rangle## ?
Yes.