1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected values probability help

1. Nov 16, 2011 #1
    A fair coin is tossed 3 times, and a player wins $26 if 3 tails occur, wins $13 if 2 tails occur, and loses $26 if no tails occur. If 1 tail occurs, no one wins. what is the expected value?

i dont really understand what does the "if 1 tail occurs , no one wins. how do you set up that?

i only set up up to ( $26*3/8) + ($13* 2/8) -(26* 4/8) how do i set up the if 1 tail occurs?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2011 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Use $0 for the winnings.

Your probabilities add up to more than 1, so they are wrong.

4. Nov 16, 2011 #3
    if i use 0 for the winnings that 1 tail occurs that just means i add 0 to the end of my equation?
    ($26*3/8) + ($13* 2/8) -(26* 4/8) + 0 (1/8)

isnt that still the same?
    so what is wrong with my equation?

5. Nov 16, 2011 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Yes. The zero just shows a grader than you know what you are doing.

You have computed the probabilities incorrectly. For example, the probability of getting 2 heads in 3 tosses isn't 2/8. Of the 8 possible results of tossing 3 coins, there are 3 possible ways that one can get 2 heads and 1 tail.

6. Nov 16, 2011 #5
    oh wow, i can't believe i made such a stupid mistake, thank you for helping me out

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook