Experimental demonstration of an absorption spectrum

In summary: Some years ago a teacher asked me to do this demonstration, which I did using a sodium flame having a piece of Sodium Hydroxide in it. From memory, the sodium light was focused on to a little spectroscope, and the white light was also focused on to the flame and then on to the spectroscope. So I could display either the spectrum of the white or yellow sources. By increasing the white intensity above the yellow, you could see the black lines. By reducing it below the yellow, you could see the yellow lines, so it works similarly to the Bunsen Grease Spot Photometer. The two sets of lines were in the same place. I found that an absorption spectrum is best seen by passing the
DDesulgon
Hello,

is there a convincing experiment to visualize absorption spectra? At disposal I have:
- Halogen lamps
- Lenses
- Straight view prism
- transmission grating
- slit, iris, screen
- Sodium vapor lamp and mercury vapor lamp

Unfortunately, I do not have a sodium vapor cell or anything similar. I tried to illuminate a flame colored by common salt with the halogen lamp and project the spectrum behind it with slit, lens and prism, but could not see any black lines.

I read in a book that you can also use the sodium vapor lamp as a vapor cell, so illuminate the sodium vapor lamp with a halogen lamp to get an absorption spectrum. However, I am having trouble understanding this approach. When you illuminate the sodium vapor lamp that is turned on, it is so bright that you see a bright yellow line in the spectrum instead.
Or should the sodium vapor lamp be used in the off state?

Does anyone have an idea how to get an absorption spectrum (maybe even the Fraunhofer lines in the solar spectrum?) with the (simple) means available?

Thanks in advance!

Science news on Phys.org
Some years ago a teacher asked me to do this demonstration, which I did using a sodium flame having a piece of Sodium Hydroxide in it. From memory, the sodium light was focused on to a little spectroscope, and the white light was also focused on to the flame and then on to the spectroscope. So I could display either the spectrum of the white or yellow sources. By increasing the white intensity above the yellow, you could see the black lines. By reducing it below the yellow, you could see the yellow lines, so it works similarly to the Bunsen Grease Spot Photometer. The two sets of lines were in the same place. I found that an absorption spectrum is best seen by passing the white light a little above the luminous flame, so it is in Sodium Vapour which is hot but not radiating.

• Informative
Likes sophiecentaur, DDesulgon, vanhees71 and 1 other person
The concept sounds good. Unfortunately, I don't have a professional spectroscope, only a small handheld one.
Is it also possible to project the spectrum onto a screen using a slit, a lens and a grating?

DDesulgon said:
The concept sounds good. Unfortunately, I don't have a professional spectroscope, only a small handheld one.
Is it also possible to project the spectrum onto a screen using a slit, a lens and a grating?
If you want to prove / demonstrate the existence of absorption then take your hand held spectrograph and look at sunlight through clouds. I have a £30 cheapo spectrograph from eBay and the spectrum is full of very visible vertical stripes around the red / Orange region. The spectrum from a halogen (or even a modern LED) lamp is far more continuous so my stripes have to be due to absorption. I must say, I did suspect the instrument before I checked it out with a good reference.
If you want to use a sodium vapour lamp, why not turn it off after it's reached its running temperature and look at the sun through it? The sodium would take a while to condense back to where it came from. If you mask off any direct sunlight, I'd bet you would get a dark stripe where the sodium lines are. Whether you could actually split them would be another matter. I never tried a Neon lamp but you could probably get some absorption of sunlight through it.

Likes DDesulgon
Thanks for your ideas!
Of course, I have already tried your first suggestion. I really saw some gossamer lines, but wasn't sure if they were really Fraunhofer lines. Especially since I also saw some horizontal black lines because the slit was set so narrow.
Your second suggestion sounds good, I will definitely give it a try.

Likes sophiecentaur
Further to my description, I used a little hand spectrometer. I think I used a camera to display the results but not sure now. There is not enough light for projection.

Likes sophiecentaur
DDesulgon said:
I really saw some gossamer lines, but wasn't sure if they were really Fraunhofer lines.
Yes; I really doubted the equipment, as would anyone who only paid £30. But as a check, you wouldn't find most of those lines in a domestic lamp. I'd be really interested to find out if any more kitchen table spectroscopy works convincingly. Grandchildren are often bored impressed by some very easy demos when it's not part of a formal lesson.

Likes vanhees71
sophiecentaur said:
if any more kitchen table spectroscopy works convincingly
The spectra of CFLs looks so dodgy and it's really no surprise that the colour of everything you see, under them, is unbelievable weird. Worth looking at, though.

1. What is an absorption spectrum?

An absorption spectrum is a graphical representation of the wavelengths of light that are absorbed by a particular substance. It is created by shining a continuous spectrum of light through the substance and measuring the intensity of light that passes through. The resulting spectrum shows dark lines or bands where the light has been absorbed by the substance.

2. How is an absorption spectrum experiment conducted?

To conduct an absorption spectrum experiment, a sample of the substance is placed in a container with transparent walls. A light source is then directed through the sample, and a spectrometer is used to measure the intensity of light that passes through the sample at different wavelengths. The resulting data is then plotted on a graph to create the absorption spectrum.

3. What can an absorption spectrum tell us about a substance?

An absorption spectrum can provide information about the chemical composition and structure of a substance. The specific wavelengths of light that are absorbed can indicate the types of chemical bonds present in the substance, as well as the energy levels of its electrons. This can help scientists identify and characterize unknown substances.

4. How is an absorption spectrum different from an emission spectrum?

An absorption spectrum shows the wavelengths of light that are absorbed by a substance, while an emission spectrum shows the wavelengths of light that are emitted by a substance. In an absorption spectrum, dark lines or bands indicate the absorbed wavelengths, while in an emission spectrum, bright lines or bands indicate the emitted wavelengths.

5. What are some practical applications of absorption spectra?

Absorption spectra have many practical applications in fields such as astronomy, chemistry, and medicine. They can be used to identify the chemical composition of distant stars and planets, analyze the purity of substances in chemistry, and diagnose medical conditions by measuring the absorption of light by different tissues in the body.