1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Experimental investigation of c in electric & magnetic fields

1. Jan 12, 2017 #1
    I have been researching a question I have concerning the speed of light in magnetic AND electric fields. I came across an article in arvix but could not quite understand what they were saying. I am not a scientist I am just curious. There was a statement in which was shrouded in a strange nomenclature. Can someone please decipher what they are saying. They said, "In the experimental setup described there, this would mean a birefringence with 0 n (small triangle which I think means delta) <.
    Sorry that I could not find the delta symbol. This experiment was referring to measuring the speed of light in a magnetic field and in a vacuum.
    What does 0 n small triangle followed by a less than sign mean?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2017 #2
    I need to make a correction to the formula. it is that the birefringence is delta n < 0 What are they saying about the speed of light here? This is confusing. Thanks for the help.

4. Jan 12, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you post a link the the paper and direct us to the part you are not understanding?
    ∇n < 0 would imply what, given the Wikipedia definition of birefringence...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birefringence
    [tex]∇n = n_e - n_o[/tex]

5. Jan 13, 2017 #4
  6. Jan 13, 2017 #5
    The paragraph number 2.
    I need to have this spoken to me in payments terms. It looks to me as if the experiment is supposed to yield a positive value but the person or lab measured a negative value. How does this relate to the speed of light.

7. Jan 13, 2017 #6
    Sorry I am on a trip and using a cell phone. In the paragraph above I meant laymens terms not payment terms.

8. Jan 13, 2017 #7

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

9. Jan 16, 2017 #8
    Yes typed it wrong. Your link is proper. Why is the negative value a problem concerning birefringence. Does any one know?

10. Jan 16, 2017 #9

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To quote from the paper so others can see:
    I confess that I don't have the knowledge to answer your question. :cry:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted