Experimental tests of zero divergence for stress-energy?

In summary: But I don't have any specific examples in mind of laboratory experiments that would test this, so I'm not sure.In summary, the conversation discusses the expectation for the stress-energy tensor to have zero divergence, the difference in treating energy and momentum in the PPN framework, and the possibility of testing the stress-energy tensor of dark energy. It also raises the question of whether laboratory experiments or solar-system/space probe data are better for testing conservation of energy-momentum.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
We expect the stress-energy tensor to have zero divergence, because this is required for local conservation of energy-momentum, which has been verified to high precision in laboratory and solar system experiments. The standard review article is Will, "The Confrontation between General Relativity and Experiment." Will does explicitly discuss PPN parameters that would violate conservation of momentum: http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2006-3/articlesu5.html#x11-190003.2

What remains unclear to me is:

(1) Why does PPN appear to treat energy and momentum differently, when they're actually part of the same four-vector? Or is this difference just in Will's presentation? If we assume (a) no preferred frame and (b) conservation of energy in some frame, then it follows that we must have conservation of momentum. But since PPN explicitly allows preferred frames, the situation seems hazy to me.

(2) How would one test whether dark energy gives a stress-energy tensor with zero divergence? We can't do it in the lab, because we have no access in the lab to any empirical tests of the properties of dark energy (e.g., its equation of state). So do cosmological observations tell us anything about this, or are we assuming that dark energy has zero divergence purely because the rest of physics works that way?

(3) At scales where dark energy has a negligible effect, which is the better test of conservation of energy-momentum: laboratory experiments, or solar-system/space probe data?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bcrowell said:
Why does PPN appear to treat energy and momentum differently, when they're actually part of the same four-vector?

What different treatment are you referring to? The fact that there are different PPN parameters for the violation of energy and momentum (and angular momentum) conservation, instead of just one?

bcrowell said:
How would one test whether dark energy gives a stress-energy tensor with zero divergence?

The simplest test would be to test whether dark energy density is constant everywhere and at all times (in practice, we can't avoid assessing both since we are looking along our past light cone); if it is, then its stress-energy tensor is just that constant times the metric, which obviously has zero divergence. As far as I know, all of our observations to date are consistent with this, although I don't know how tightly it is pinned down.

If the density is not constant everywhere, then I think one would have to be able to somehow measure the different components (density and pressure, at a minimum) in order to be able to explicitly measure the stress-energy tensor and take its divergence. I'm not sure what cosmological observations would help with that.

bcrowell said:
At scales where dark energy has a negligible effect, which is the better test of conservation of energy-momentum: laboratory experiments, or solar-system/space probe data?

My intuitive guess would be laboratory experiments, simply because it's possible to control things so much more precisely.

1. What is the concept of zero divergence for stress-energy?

Zero divergence for stress-energy is a fundamental principle in physics, which states that the net flow of energy and momentum within a closed system must be equal to zero. In other words, energy and momentum cannot be created or destroyed, but only transformed or redistributed within the system.

2. How is zero divergence for stress-energy tested experimentally?

There are several experimental tests that have been conducted to verify the principle of zero divergence for stress-energy. These include measurements of energy and momentum fluxes in various systems, such as fluid flows, electromagnetic fields, and gravitational fields. These measurements are then compared to the theoretical predictions based on the conservation of energy and momentum.

3. What are some examples of systems where zero divergence for stress-energy is observed?

Zero divergence for stress-energy is observed in a wide range of physical systems, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and general relativity. For example, in fluid dynamics, the conservation of energy and momentum is demonstrated by the continuity equation and the Navier-Stokes equations. In electromagnetism, it is shown by Maxwell's equations. In general relativity, it is embodied in the Einstein field equations.

4. Why is zero divergence for stress-energy important in physics?

The principle of zero divergence for stress-energy is crucial in understanding the behavior of physical systems and making predictions about their future states. It is a fundamental law of nature that has been observed and tested in numerous experiments, and is a cornerstone of many theories and equations in physics.

5. Can zero divergence for stress-energy ever be violated?

So far, all experimental tests have confirmed the principle of zero divergence for stress-energy, and there is no evidence to suggest that it can be violated. However, there are some theoretical models, such as those involving dark energy or exotic matter, that suggest it is possible under certain conditions. These models are still being studied and tested, and more research is needed to fully understand the extent and limitations of the principle of zero divergence for stress-energy.