Experimentally Determine Coefficient of Static Friction

In summary, the coefficient of static friction for the given set-up can be determined using the formula u=F/mg, where F is the tension in the string and mg is the weight of the object. The tension in the string is equal to the weight of M2, and the friction force must equal the tension. Therefore, the coefficient of static friction can be calculated by dividing the weight of M2 by the weight of M1.
chrissyinbloom
I need to determine the coefficient of static friction for the following set-up.

M1 = 380.45g
M2 = 74.7g

This is what I know... u=F/mg

What I can't figure out is how to factor in the horizontal and vertical weights.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Attachments

• static friction.bmp
    284.4 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
I should clarify.. those weights are the weights where the system just begins to move.

Hint: What does the tension in the string equal?

OK, the tension for both is the same.. and it is equal to... M2g I think ?

I'll keep thinking on this..

Thanks

Right. There's a single tension in the string and it equals [itex]M_2g[/itex].

So, what must the friction force equal?

OK, here's what I think... the force must equal the tension (M2g), which is equal to uN.

What is N then? The mass of M1??

chrissyinbloom said:
OK, here's what I think... the force must equal the tension (M2g), which is equal to uN.
Good!

What is N then? The mass of M1??
Not the mass but the weight of M1.

Yes, the weight!

Thanks a bunch for your help!

1. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of force required to initiate movement between two surfaces in contact. It is denoted by the symbol μs and is unique to each pair of surfaces.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction experimentally determined?

The coefficient of static friction can be experimentally determined by conducting a simple inclined plane experiment. This involves measuring the angle at which a block placed on an inclined plane just begins to slide, and using trigonometric calculations to find the coefficient of static friction.

3. What factors can affect the value of the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction can be influenced by various factors such as the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the presence of any lubricants, and the normal force applied between the surfaces.

4. Why is the coefficient of static friction important?

The coefficient of static friction is important because it helps determine the maximum force that can be applied to an object before it starts to move. It is also a crucial factor in designing structures and machines, as it affects their stability and ability to withstand external forces.

5. Can the coefficient of static friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of static friction can be greater than 1. This indicates that a greater force is required to initiate movement between the two surfaces in contact. However, it is not possible for the coefficient of static friction to be less than 0, as this would mean there is no friction between the surfaces.