Explain the value of refractive index of water?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Yen Pham
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I have studied about the formula of refractive index which is:
dbff99e30f01687f56047d647d3186d6.png
. That means in the case of water which have μ =1 (approximate) and ε = 81, then n should be 9. But why we often use the value n = 1.33 for water ?
Who can explain for me? I don't think the above formula is wrong, of course!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have taken a value for the relative permittivity which is not valid for visible wavelengths. The permittivity (and hence refractive index) changes with the frequency.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Yen Pham
Orodruin said:
You have taken a value for the relative permittivity which is not valid for visible wavelengths. The permittivity (and hence refractive index) changes with the frequency.
yeah, I got it! Thank you so much^^