Explain this to me as if I were 5 years old

This is known as the word form of a permutation. The notation n! means n factorial, which is calculated by multiplying all the numbers from n down to 1. In summary, a permutation is a function that maps a set onto itself and its word form is the list of numbers obtained by writing the image of each element in its corresponding position. The notation n! represents n factorial, which is the product of all numbers from n to 1.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

5.10. Definition. A permutation of a finite set S is a bijection from S to itself. The word form of a permutation of [n] is the list obtained by writing the image of i in position i. We write n!, read as "n factorial", to mean n*(n-1)*(n-2)* ... *2*1.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Please explain the mumbo jumbo before the last sentence.

Physics news on Phys.org
For example, a permutation of the set {1,2,3} could be a function f(x) where f(1)=1, f(2)=3 and f(3)=2. By the word form we can write this permutation as 1 3 2. The number 1 is first so f(1)=1. The number 3 is second so f(2)=3. The number 2 is third so f(3)=2 (permutations are rarely denoted as f(x) but I do so here for the sake of clarity)

If you were given the permutation f(x) described by 2 5 3 4 1, then f(1)=2 since the first number listed is a 2, and f(2)=5 since the second number listed is a 5

1. What is science?

Science is a way of learning about the world around us. Scientists use experiments and observations to figure out how things work. They also use evidence and facts to help them understand why things happen.

2. How do scientists know things?

Scientists use their senses, like seeing, touching, and smelling, to make observations about the world. They also use special tools, like microscopes and telescopes, to help them see things that are too small or too far away to see with their eyes. Scientists also read books, conduct experiments, and ask questions to gain knowledge.

3. What is an experiment?

An experiment is a special kind of test that scientists use to learn about something. In an experiment, scientists change one thing and see how it affects something else. They do this to figure out how things work or to test their ideas. It's like mixing ingredients together to see what kind of cake it will make!

4. Why do scientists wear lab coats and goggles?

Scientists wear lab coats and goggles to protect themselves from any harmful substances they may be working with. The lab coat helps to keep their clothes clean, and the goggles protect their eyes from any chemicals or things that might splash or spray.

5. What is a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is an educated guess that scientists make before they do an experiment. It's like making a prediction about what will happen. After doing the experiment, scientists can see if their hypothesis was correct or not.