1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Explain this to me as if I were 5 years old

1. Jul 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

5.10. Definition. A permutation of a finite set S is a bijection from S to itself. The word form of a permutation of [n] is the list obtained by writing the image of i in position i. We write n!, read as "n factorial", to mean n*(n-1)*(n-2)* ... *2*1.

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

Please explain the mumbo jumbo before the last sentence.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For example, a permutation of the set {1,2,3} could be a function f(x) where f(1)=1, f(2)=3 and f(3)=2. By the word form we can write this permutation as 1 3 2. The number 1 is first so f(1)=1. The number 3 is second so f(2)=3. The number 2 is third so f(3)=2 (permutations are rarely denoted as f(x) but I do so here for the sake of clarity)

If you were given the permutation f(x) described by 2 5 3 4 1, then f(1)=2 since the first number listed is a 2, and f(2)=5 since the second number listed is a 5

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook