1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explain why autotrophs occupy the lowest level of the food chain.

1. May 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Explain why autotrophs occupy the lowest level of the food chain.

3. The attempt at a solution

I not sure but i think its because they are producers and have the highest energy level (10 000 J) so they the primary source of energy for other consumers.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2007 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You mostly have it. There's one thing that I think you already know, but haven't quite stated explicitly, that is important for the answer here. Where do autotrophs GET their energy from? Do they need to rely on any other organisms to get their energy?

4. May 24, 2007 #3
    Oh so also because they are the only ones that can turn sunlight to energy?

5. May 29, 2007 #4
    it's been a LONG time since I looked at the specific definitions of these terms, so correct me if I'm wrong here but position in a food chain (never heard it called that in a while, mostly heard the term 'food web') is based on what you consume right? and by definition AUTOtrophs are self-feeding, they don't consume anything else, so they can't be any higher up the chain!

6. May 29, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Correct to both of you. Oaksinstructor, PLEASE remember to let the students work out their OWN answers though. I'm not asking fallenrose these questions because I don't know the answers, I'm asking because I need to know if s/he knows the answers in order to focus the help given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?