Explain why this function is discontinuous

In summary, the conversation discusses using the test for continuity at a point to explain why a piecewise function is discontinuous at a given x-value. The function is classified as having a removable discontinuity at x=-1. The attempt at a solution involves factoring the function and finding the limit as x approaches -1, but there is confusion about the correct answer in the book. Ultimately, it is determined that the book's answer is incorrect and the function is actually continuous at x=-1.
dranseth

Homework Statement

Using the test for continuity at a point, explain why each function is discontinuous at the given x-value. Classify each discontinuity.

the question is a piecewise function.

i(x)={(x^2+5x+4)/(x^3+1), x=/= -1
{2, x=-1

this is all one piece wise function.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first can say that the function exists and the limit exists just by glance. At x=-1 for the first piece, it is indeterminent. So I factor the first piece and end up with:

lim (x+4)/(x^2+x+1)
x->-1

subbing in a negative one I get 3.

but the back of the book says:

lim i(x) =2
x->-1

I'm not sure how.

Physics news on Phys.org
you should get x^2-x+1 and not x^2+x+1. But I get 1 instead of 2 still...

nvm, the book must be wrong..

Well, for one thing you factored the denominator wrong. Are you sure the back of the book doesn't say lim(i(x))=1 as x->-1?

I think the book's wrong seeing as it wants you to show why the function is not continuous, when its answer would actually show that it is continuous at x=1... I think rock freak is right on this one.

1. What is a discontinuous function?

A discontinuous function is a mathematical function that is not continuous at one or more points in its domain. This means that there is a break or gap in the graph of the function, and it does not follow a smooth, continuous curve.

2. How can you tell if a function is discontinuous?

A function is discontinuous if it has a break or gap in its graph, or if there is a point in its domain where the limit of the function does not exist or is not equal to the value of the function at that point.

3. What causes a function to be discontinuous?

There are several possible causes for a function to be discontinuous. These include having a removable discontinuity, where there is a hole or gap in the graph that can be "filled in" to make the function continuous; having a jump discontinuity, where the graph has a sudden jump or change at a point; or having an infinite discontinuity, where the graph approaches positive or negative infinity at a certain point.

4. Can a function be discontinuous at more than one point?

Yes, a function can be discontinuous at multiple points in its domain. It is also possible for a function to be discontinuous on an entire interval or even on its entire domain.

5. Why is it important to identify discontinuous functions?

Identifying discontinuous functions is important because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of the function. Discontinuous functions often have special properties and can be used to model real-world phenomena. Additionally, knowing where a function is discontinuous can help us determine the limits and derivatives of the function at those points.