Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Explaining Relativity within 3 minutes

1. Dec 8, 2017 #1
    Who agrees with the result? I don't think she was sufficiently rigorous on her explanation. (She won $800.000)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2017 #2
    If 3 minutes is enough, so let's close our universities. Why spend 5-10 years in a graduation... and a lifetime in research

4. Dec 8, 2017 #3

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course you can't do it 3 minutes, but I thought that was a pretty impressive attempt to do as much as possible in 3 minutes. Imprecisions and simplifications were necessary, but I've seen professional videos on the web that are inferior to this.

5. Dec 8, 2017 #4
    Ok, I understand that there's no way of explaining such a complex matter in a couple of minutes, but then the explanation would not be complete.

6. Dec 8, 2017 #5

Mister T

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course the explanation is not complete. Was that one of the criteria that had to be satisfied to be eligible for a win?

7. Dec 8, 2017 #6

A.T.

Science Advisor

No explanation is complete.

8. Dec 8, 2017 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The judging process...

9. Dec 8, 2017 #8

Mister T

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that in addition to focusing on the 3 minutes spent watching the video, it might be worthwhile to look at the hours and hours of time it took to produce the video. Multiply that by the number of people who produced videos, and that will give a picture of the real educational value of a project like this.

10. Dec 8, 2017 #9

phinds

Gold Member

Yeah. What he said.

11. Dec 9, 2017 #10

Ibix

Science Advisor

Neat video. I would have spent a bit more time on the light clock and a bit less on setup, but it's possible I'm not really the target audience. :wink:

12. Dec 9, 2017 #11

Wes Tausend

Gold Member

I agree with PAllen. Pretty impressive, considering.
    I also like the red bumper sticker:
    .................... IF THIS STICKER IS BLUE, THEN YOU ARE DRIVING TOO FAST

Wes

13. Dec 10, 2017 #12

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Given this It is clear that this was a strong entry and deserved to score well. Clearly it is impossible to say whether it deserved to win without comparison to other entries, but certainly it is a credible contender.

14. Dec 10, 2017 #13

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you pretty much missed the point of the Challenge.

Here's the point:

The video in the OP (url copied here) was declared "Winner" of the 2017 Breakthrough Junior Challenge
    (The winner receives a $250,000 college scholarship.
    The winning student's teacher and school also benefit:
    $50,000 for the teacher and a state-of-the-art $100,000 science lab for the school.)

Here are the other finalists
    https://breakthroughjuniorchallenge.org/winners
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyF3OMOiy3nEfizJT6eGCMg4JPfPGxRIN (playlist)

From the 2016 link on the winner's page, she was also finalist in 2016 with a video on the Path Integral

15. Dec 14, 2017 #14
    Thank you guys for your participation. After thinking out a bit, I'm more comfortable with all of this.

16. Dec 31, 2017 #15

phinds

Gold Member

Where did you get $800,000? The article says "A High-School Student Just Won $250,000 For This Incredible Explanation of Relativit"

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted