1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explaining the trick of using [itex]g(x)=f(x+1)[/itex] to show irreducibility

1. Aug 26, 2012 #1
    This is for clarification of a method.

Dummit & Foote, pg 310, Example (3).

[itex]f(x)=x^{4}+1[/itex] is converted into [itex]g(x)=f(x+1)[/itex] in order to use Einsenstein's Criterion for irreducibility. The example states "It follows that [itex]f(x)[/itex] must also be irreducible, since any factorization of [itex]f(x)[/itex] would provide a factorization of [itex]g(x)[/itex] (just replace [itex]x[/itex] by [itex]x+1[/itex] in each of the factors)."

My question is, "In each of the factors of what?". [itex]f(x)[/itex] if it were factorable? In [itex]g(x)[/itex] since [itex]f(x)[/itex] was theoretically factorable by their explanation?

Please provide a more detailed explanation if possible. An example of this technique when a polynomial is reducible would be great. I was unable to create one since the wording has confused me.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2012 #2
    If [itex]f(z)[/itex] is reducible, then [itex]f(z) = p(z)q(z)[/itex] These are the factors the book is talking about.

4. Aug 26, 2012 #3
    So as an example, if defining [itex]g(x)=f(x^{2}+45x-2)[/itex] and Eisenstein's criterion showed that [itex]g(x)[/itex] is irreducible, then [itex]f(x)[/itex] is irreducible? Or can I only use linear factors such as [itex]g(x)=f(x-2)[/itex]?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  5. Aug 26, 2012 #4
    I think you could prove a more general statement, but linear polynomials are obvious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook