1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explanation of an angular momentum term

1. Oct 24, 2013 #1
    Hello, could somebody please explain to me why in 4 of these solutions, the angular momentum final term about point p is mVfR + Icmω ? It is in huge attached solutions my teacher posted.

Thank you very much in advance

Here is the problem in case you are interested of Horne context.

4. A solid ball of radius are initially slides without rotating on a horizontal surface with a variable coefficient of friction. If the initial speed is Vo, find the speed when the ball begins to roll without slipping. Also find the energy lost due to friction

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2013 #2
    Upright, sorry about this, it looks upright when I upload it..

Attached Files:

4. Oct 24, 2013 #3
    Come on.. I know you smart cats know what this angular momentum term is all about. PLEASE I AM DESPERATE.

5. Oct 24, 2013 #4
    Sorry my iPad edited this very poorly...

4. A solid ball of radius R initially slides without rotating on a horizontal surface with a variable coefficient of friction. If the initial speed is Vo, find the speed when the ball begins to roll without slipping. Also find the energy lost due to friction

6. Oct 24, 2013 #5
    I understand the angular momentum is conserved but I don't understand the final term in the angular momentum. I can't find out anything, it's bewildering me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted