Angular Momentum Problem (from Giancoli)

In summary: R = radius of the ball, using conservation of angular momentum, find the critical angular speed, ωC, at which the kinetic friction force brings the ball to a complete stop.
bobblo

Homework Statement

On a level billiards table a cue ball, initially at rest at point O on the table, is struck so that it leaves the cue stick with a center-of-mass speed v0 and a "reverse" spin of angular speed w0. A kinetic friction force acts on the ball as it initially skids across the table. Using conservation of angular momentum, find the critical angular speed, ωC, such that if ω0 = ωC, kinetic friction brings the ball to a complete stop.

Homework Equations

L = r x p , L = Iω , and L = spin angular momentum + orbital angular momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

using L = spin angular momentum + orbital angular momentum (derived earlier), L = (2/5mR2)ωC - mv0r, where r is the distance from the origin, O, and R is the radius of the billiards ball. L is constant because no net external torque acts on the ball after it is hit, so i can solver for ωC: ωC = 5v0r/2R2.

I checked the solution in the solutions manual, and it is reduced to 5v0/2R. I do not know why r = R, or orbital angular momentum depends on the radius of the ball, rather than the distance from the origin.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
bobblo said:

The Attempt at a Solution

using L = spin angular momentum + orbital angular momentum (derived earlier), L = (2/5mR2)ωC - mv0r, where r is the distance from the origin, O, and R is the radius of the billiards ball. L is constant because no net external torque acts on the ball after it is hit, so i can solver for ωC: ωC = 5v0r/2R2.

I checked the solution in the solutions manual, and it is reduced to 5v0/2R. I do not know why r = R, or orbital angular momentum depends on the radius of the ball, rather than the distance from the origin.

Thanks in advance.

r = perpendicular distance from the origin

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotation or spin of an object. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance of an object from a fixed point.

2. How is Angular Momentum Calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotation) by the angular velocity (the rate of rotation) of the object.

3. What is the Conservation of Angular Momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. This means that if there are no external torques acting on the system, the initial angular momentum will be equal to the final angular momentum.

4. How is Angular Momentum related to Newton's Laws?

Angular momentum is related to Newton's laws through the principle of conservation of angular momentum, which is an extension of Newton's first law of motion. It states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion, unless acted upon by an external force.

5. What are some real-world applications of Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in many areas of science and engineering, including the motion of celestial bodies, gyroscopic stabilization in airplanes and spacecraft, and the design of turbines and other rotating machinery. It also has applications in sports, such as the spinning of a basketball or figure skater, and in the study of atomic and subatomic particles.