1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum Problem (from Giancoli)

1. Aug 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

On a level billiards table a cue ball, initially at rest at point O on the table, is struck so that it leaves the cue stick with a center-of-mass speed v0 and a "reverse" spin of angular speed w0. A kinetic friction force acts on the ball as it initially skids across the table. Using conservation of angular momentum, find the critical angular speed, ωC, such that if ω0 = ωC, kinetic friction brings the ball to a complete stop.

2. Relevant equations

L = r x p , L = Iω , and L = spin angular momentum + orbital angular momentum

3. The attempt at a solution

using L = spin angular momentum + orbital angular momentum (derived earlier), L = (2/5mR2)ωC - mv0r, where r is the distance from the origin, O, and R is the radius of the billiards ball. L is constant because no net external torque acts on the ball after it is hit, so i can solver for ωC: ωC = 5v0r/2R2.

I checked the solution in the solutions manual, and it is reduced to 5v0/2R. I do not know why r = R, or orbital angular momentum depends on the radius of the ball, rather than the distance from the origin.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2014 #2
    r = perpendicular distance from the origin

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted