Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum Term Equals Zero?

1. Sep 6, 2014 #1
    Hi All,

This is from a classical mechanics problem, and I already 'solved' the problem, but I'm interested in why a certain term is set to zero. I think I understand the concept but just want to clarify.

The problem is a table with a hole in it and two masses on a string, one mass is hanging through the hole with only a Z component, and the other is on the table with an X and Y component (Z plane).

When I take the cross product of R x mV, I get the angular momentum vector K which has only a 'vertical' component:
    R x mV = [m*(r^2)*dθ + m*r*dr*sin(2θ)] K

But I am told that:
    R x mV = m*(r^2)*dθ K

The sin(2θ) came from some trig identity work. So I am wondering is this because there is no effect on the K vector from a sin(2θ) factor which is only in the Z plane? Why is this term 0? Is dr = 0 ? I think r is fixed but the problem does say that gravity affects the hanging mass, so perhaps dr in the Z plane is not zero? Any help understanding this is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2014 #2
    There is an error in your derivation of equation for angular momentum. Without seeing the derivation, I cannot say what this error is. A simple, if somewhat cumbersome/ way to obtain the angular momentum in polar coordinates is by writing ## x = r \cos \theta, \ y = r \sin \theta ##, then writing ## \dot x = ..., \ \dot y = ... ## and taking their cross product.

4. Sep 6, 2014 #3
    Here is my attempt, I uploaded it

Attached Files:

5. Sep 6, 2014 #4
    So you have ## mr [\dot r \cos \theta \sin \theta + ... - \dot r \sin \theta \cos \theta + ... ] ## yet you write ## = mr [ ... + 2\dot r \cos \theta \sin \theta] ##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook