Explanation of solution to given question (subspace)

In summary: Is this correct now?Yes, that is correct. In summary, the values of k for which the given system of equations has a unique solution are any values except 0 and 1. If k equals 1, the solution set includes a free parameter y and if k equals 0, there is no solution.
negation

Homework Statement

-4x1 +2x2 =2
4x1 -3x2 -2x3 =-3
2x1 -x2 +(k - k2)x3 =-k

Find the values of k for which the system has 1) unique solution, 2) infinitely many solution and 3) no solution

The Attempt at a Solution

In REF: the matrix is
-4 2 0 | 2
0 -1 -2 | -1
0 0 k(1-k) | 1-k

1) I do not understand why the solution sets x3 = y to give a single parameter solution set.

2) for a system to have infinitely solution k must be 1 because 1(1-1) = 0 and 1-1 = 0
0 = 0 implies infinitely many solution

3) for a system to have no solution, the solution must be inconsistent
and so, k(1-k) must equal to 0 for some value k and 1-k gives a value that is an element of real number with the exclusion of 0. For this to be true, k = 0.
0(1-0) = 0 and 1-0 = 1
we see that 0 = 1 but this produces a contradiction.

Physics news on Phys.org
negation said:

Homework Statement

-4x1 +2x2 =2
4x1 -3x2 -2x3 =-3
2x1 -x2 +(k - k2)x3 =-k

Find the values of k for which the system has 1) unique solution, 2) infinitely many solution and 3) no solution

The Attempt at a Solution

In REF: the matrix is
-4 2 0 | 2
0 -1 -2 | -1
0 0 k(1-k) | 1-k

1) I do not understand why the solution sets x3 = y to give a single parameter solution set.

If k=1 x3 is arbitrary. y means just an arbitrary number. And you can write the solution set in terms of y.

negation said:
2) for a system to have infinitely solution k must be 1 because 1(1-1) = 0 and 1-1 = 0
0 = 0 implies infinitely many solution

3) for a system to have no solution, the solution must be inconsistent
and so, k(1-k) must equal to 0 for some value k and 1-k gives a value that is an element of real number with the exclusion of 0. For this to be true, k = 0.
0(1-0) = 0 and 1-0 = 1
we see that 0 = 1 but this produces a contradiction.

Correct. But what happens if k≠1 and k≠0? What is (are) the solution(s)?

ehild

ehild said:
If k=1 x3 is arbitrary. y means just an arbitrary number. And you can write the solution set in terms of y.

Correct. But what happens if k≠1 and k≠0? What is (are) the solution(s)?

ehild

I'm still not capturing the full essence of part (1). Maybe some simple examples?

part(3): if k ≠ 1 and k ≠ 0 then we can pick any values of k? But what is the corollary from this?

Part (1) asks about unique solution (for a given k) K can be anything, but 1 and zero. What is the solution set in terms of k?

Part(2) : infinite many solution exist if k=1, as x3 can be arbitrary. What are x1 and x2 in terms of x3?

Part 3 : no solution exist when k=0.

(1) Remember that a row of your matrix equation means an equation for x1,x2,x3. The last row of the reduced matrix means the equation k(1-k) x3=1-k. If k≠1 and k≠0 you get x3=1/k.
The second row means equation -x2-2x3=-1. Substitute 1/k for x3: -x2-2/k=-1, x2=1-2/k.
Continue with the first row and find x1.
Example: k=2. x3=0.5, x2=0.

You see that the solution set is unique for a given value of k.
In case (2) k=1 and x3 is arbitrary. x3=y
The second raw means -x2-2x3=-1→-x2-2y=-1→x2=1-2y.
Do the same with the first row.
If y=0, for example, x3=y=0, x2=1 and x1=0.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
Part (1) asks about unique solution (for a given k) K can be anything, but 1 and zero. What is the solution set in terms of k?

Part(2) : infinite many solution exist if k=1, as x3 can be arbitrary. What are x1 and x2 in terms of x3?

Part 3 : no solution exist when k=0.

(1) Remember that a row of your matrix equation means an equation for x1,x2,x3. The last row of the reduced matrix means the equation k(1-k) x3=1-k. If k≠1 and k≠0 you get x3=1/k.
The second row means equation -x2-2x3=-1. Substitute 1/k for x3: -x2-2/k=-1, x2=1-2/k.
Continue with the first row and find x1.
Example: k=2. x3=0.5, x2=0.

You see that the solution set is unique for a given value of k.
In case (2) k=1 and x3 is arbitrary. x3=y
The second raw means -x2-2x3=-1→-x2-2y=-1→x2=1-2y.
Do the same with the first row.
If y=0, for example, x3=y=0, x2=1 and x1=0.

ehild

It is clear now. I was earlier able to work to the part where k(1-k)x3 = (-k+1)
simplifying produces x3 = 1/k but was confused as to what I should do with what I had especially since it conflicted with what my answer key showed.

In response to your question, x3 = 1/k. If x3 = y, 1/k = y.

∴ x3 = y

-x2 -2x3 = -1
-x2 -2y = -1
∴ x2 = 1-2y

-4x1 +2x2 =2
-4x1 +2(1-2y) 2
∴x1 =-y

1/k can be substituted into y (preferences)

negation said:
It is clear now. I was earlier able to work to the part where k(1-k)x3 = (-k+1)
simplifying produces x3 = 1/k but was confused as to what I should do with what I had especially since it conflicted with what my answer key showed.

In response to your question, x3 = 1/k. If x3 = y, 1/k = y.
No, y comes in when k=1.

If k is neither 1 nor zero, there is a unique solution , and that is case (1)

negation said:
∴ x3 = [STRIKE]y[/STRIKE]=1/k

-x2 -2x3 = -1
-x2 -2y = -1
∴ x2 = 1-[STRIKE]2y[/STRIKE]2/k

-4x1 +2x2 =2
-4x1 +2(1-2y) 2
∴x1 =-[STRIKE]y[/STRIKE]1/k
[STRIKE]
1/k can be substituted into y (preferences)[/STRIKE]

If k=1 you have a free parameter - y - in the solution. That is case (2)

x3=y; x2=1-2y, x1=? ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
No, y comes in when k=1.

If k is neither 1 nor zero, there is a unique solution , and that is case (1)

If k=1 you have a free parameter - y - in the solution. That is case (2)

x3=y; x2=1-2y, x1=?

ehild

I should have known not to complicate the answer by setting 1/k = y.

But I have this one.

If k = 1, we have 1(1-1) | (-1+1) and this produces 0 = 0.
We have an infinite solution set.
0x3 = 0
setting x3 = y we see that via back substituition

x2 = 1-2y
x1 = [2+2(1-2y)]/-4 :tongue: (lazy to simplify but I have the conceptual idea)

negation said:
x2 = 1-2y
x1 = [2+2(1-2y)]/-4 :tongue: (lazy to simplify but I have the conceptual idea)

Good! :biggrin:

ehild

Likes 1 person

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies certain properties. It is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, meaning that if you take any two vectors in the subspace and add them together, the result will also be in the subspace. Similarly, if you multiply any vector in the subspace by a scalar, the result will still be in the subspace.

2. How do you determine if a set is a subspace?

To determine if a set is a subspace, you need to check if it satisfies the two requirements of closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication. This means that you need to check if the set contains the zero vector, and if it is closed under both vector addition and scalar multiplication. If it satisfies these conditions, then it is a subspace.

3. What is the dimension of a subspace?

The dimension of a subspace is the number of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. This means that any vector in the subspace can be written as a linear combination of these linearly independent vectors. The dimension of a subspace can be at most equal to the dimension of the entire vector space.

4. How is a subspace different from a span?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies certain properties, while a span is the set of all possible linear combinations of a given set of vectors. So, every subspace is a span, but not every span is a subspace. Additionally, a subspace has a fixed dimension, while a span can have varying dimensions depending on the number of vectors in the given set.

5. Can a subspace contain the zero vector?

Yes, a subspace can contain the zero vector. In fact, every subspace must contain the zero vector because it is closed under scalar multiplication. This means that for any scalar c, the vector c*0 must also be in the subspace, making the zero vector a necessary component of any subspace.