Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Explanation please -- public bus induction power -- into basic physics?

1. Mar 30, 2016 #1
    Sorry for the title, and sorry if there is already a thread on it.

This induction charger for a public transport bus. Can anyone break it down into basic formulas of high school physics. The air gap is frikkin huge. Earlier prototypes apparently had a secondary coil on the bus that was lowered but the bus drivers refused to be bothered to lower it according to internet myth.

This model I think has a fixed 10inch air gap.

That must be a huge coil/s and currents if a simple transformer equation is used.

Appreciate some detail of this design, what currents, coils, number of windings, losses etc in basic equations.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.wired.com/2012/12/induction-charging-bus/

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Where did you see that there is an air gap while charging at the bus stops. The claimed efficiency doesn't seem to match up with that number...

4. Mar 30, 2016 #3
    The project leader said it in a national radio interview last night.

5. Mar 30, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well, that's not a very reliable source, IMO. Can you find a better source?

I would not want one of the cardiac pacemaker patients that I sometimes help walking onto a bus that had kilowatts of energy transfer going on through such a wide air gap. That's a very dangerous setup, IMO...

6. Mar 30, 2016 #5
    Precisely why I am posting, will try find a better link.

7. Mar 30, 2016 #6
  8. Mar 30, 2016 #7
  9. Apr 1, 2016 #8
    K, given up on finding design specs. Thinking of emailing the manufacturer. Can some random guy off the internet do that?

Hi I'm a closet physics nerd off the internet, can you please send me the circuit diagrams of yr coils in those bus thingy's.

Would that even work?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted