1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induction of a coil and force exerted on magnet in a magnetic field

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    Hi! This is my first post on this forum, and I have two questions.

First of all I'd like to mentoin that my math knowledge is at high school level + some basic calculus. Ah, and I haven't learned about (partial) differential equations yet.

My physics skills go only as far as electromagnetism and so if someone answered this question I would be really grateful for any explanations of the phenomena or algebra above the level described.

My problems are:

a) How to calculate magnetic induction (scalar) of a copper coil with an electricity source attached without a core (if someone knows how to calculate it with a core I'd like to know that too, but it's not necessary for what I'm doing now) ?

b) How to calculate the force exerted on a permanent magnet in such a coil if we assume that the coil is symmetrical and there is a current flowing through it. The preferred form would be as a function of distance from the center of the coil.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2
    Update:

I've found the solution for the simpler version of the first problem.

H = N * I/L where N is number of windings (dimensionless), I the current (amps), L the lenght of the coil's wire (meters).

H times permability of the magnet is the induction.

If I've mistaken somewhere, please correct me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook