Explicit Solutions to this equation

• Thread starter vipertongn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explicit
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the explicit solution of the first order differential equation -2x^2y+y^2=1 and the process of deriving and simplifying the implicit solution of the equation. The conversation also mentions setting the derivatives equal to each other and isolating y to find an explicit solution, which is a quadratic equation in terms of y. Finally, the conversation advises treating 2x^2 as a variable in order to solve for y.
vipertongn

Homework Statement

explicit solution of -2x^2y+y^2=1; 2xydx+(x^2-y)dy=0?

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find that dy/dx=-2xy/(x^2-y) which is the implicit solution of the equation. I pretty much derived both of the equations to make sure they are both equal to one another... Not sure if that's how I could prove that the first order DE has them as an implicit solution...I'm just confused entirely... Now I'm trying to get the explicit solution...but that's just very hard considering the variables are stuck to each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about after finding the derivative of both, set them equal and simplify? Notice that [itex]y\neq 0[/itex].

deriving both gives the same answer. Pretty much showing that one of them is an implicit solution. so y'= -2xy/(x^2-y) for both of them. haha in my first post I indicated what you said for me to do there

Oh sorry I forgot to mention that you should find an explicit solution of y(x) by realizing that it is a quadratic in terms of y.

ya, every time i try to get y by itself it ends up always not working out like y is always not isolated...

It is a quadratic equation in y!

y2-(2x2)y-1=0

Pretend that 2x2 is some number b.

ehild

What is an explicit solution to an equation?

An explicit solution to an equation is an expression or formula that directly gives the value of the variable or variables in the equation. It is often written in terms of the given variables and constants.

How is an explicit solution different from an implicit solution?

An implicit solution to an equation is an expression or formula that does not directly give the value of the variable or variables in the equation. Instead, it shows the relationship between the variables and may require further manipulation to solve for a specific variable. Explicit solutions are generally preferred because they give a specific value for the variables.

What makes an equation have an explicit solution?

An equation has an explicit solution if it can be solved algebraically, meaning that the variable can be isolated on one side of the equation. This is typically achieved by applying mathematical operations to both sides of the equation.

Can an equation have more than one explicit solution?

Yes, an equation can have multiple explicit solutions. This can occur when there are multiple values for the variable that satisfy the given equation. It is important to check the solutions in the original equation to ensure they are valid.

What is the process for finding an explicit solution to an equation?

The process for finding an explicit solution to an equation involves isolating the variable on one side of the equation using algebraic operations. This may include combining like terms, distributing, and using inverse operations. Once the variable is isolated, the solution can be written in terms of the remaining variables and constants.