1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explicit Solutions to this equation

1. Aug 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    explicit solution of -2x^2y+y^2=1; 2xydx+(x^2-y)dy=0?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to find that dy/dx=-2xy/(x^2-y) which is the implicit solution of the equation. I pretty much derived both of the equations to make sure they are both equal to one another.... Not sure if that's how I could prove that the first order DE has them as an implicit solution...I'm just confused entirely... Now I'm trying to get the explicit solution...but that's just very hard considering the variables are stuck to each other.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2010 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

How about after finding the derivative of both, set them equal and simplify? Notice that [itex]y\neq 0[/itex].

4. Aug 6, 2010 #3
    deriving both gives the same answer. Pretty much showing that one of them is an implicit solution. so y'= -2xy/(x^2-y) for both of them. haha in my first post I indicated what you said for me to do there

5. Aug 6, 2010 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Oh sorry I forgot to mention that you should find an explicit solution of y(x) by realizing that it is a quadratic in terms of y.

6. Aug 6, 2010 #5
    ya, every time i try to get y by itself it ends up always not working out like y is always not isolated...

7. Aug 6, 2010 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is a quadratic equation in y!!!

y2-(2x2)y-1=0

Pretend that 2x2 is some number b.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook