Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explicitly summing a series involving hyperbolic tangent

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I recently came across a problem where I was able to show that [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{n} \tanh \left( \frac{n \pi}{2} \right)=\frac{\ln 2- \pi}{4}[/tex] through numerical approximation....However, I don't have much practice evaluating such summations analytically, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to evaluate this one analytically?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2008 #2
    Express tanh as a sum of complex exponentials.

4. Dec 17, 2008 #3

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ermm...was the 'complex' a typo, or does expressing [itex]\tanh\left(\frac{n\pi}{2}\right)[/itex] as [tex]\frac{e^{i\left(\frac{-in\pi}{2}\right)}-e^{i\left(\frac{in\pi}{2}\right)}}{e^{i\left(\frac{-in\pi}{2}\right)}+e^{i\left(\frac{in\pi}{2}\right)}}[/tex] actually help in evaluating this sum? If so, I don't see how.

5. Dec 17, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okay, so I've made some headway by expressing tanh in terms of 'real' exponentials:

Using [itex]\tanh(x)=\frac{e^x-e^{-x}}{e^x+e^{-x}}=\frac{e^{2x}-1}{e^{2x}+1}=1-\frac{2}{e^{2x}+1}}[/itex] , the sum becomes:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{n} \tanh \left( \frac{n \pi}{2} \right)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{n} -2\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{n} \left( \frac{1}{e^{n\pi}+1} \right)[/tex]

The first term is just the alternating harmonic series and sums to [itex]-\ln(2)[/itex], and the second one converges very quickly, but now I need to review my old calc text and see if there is something in there that will help me analytically compute the second summation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?