1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exploding shell at the top of its trajectory

1. Nov 25, 2012 #1
    "After a shell explodes at the top of its trajectory, the center of gravity of the fragments has an acceleration, in the absence of air resistance, equal to g and downward."

Why isn't there an x-component?

I get why there would be a downward component with a = g, but shouldn't there at least be an increase in acceleration in the x dimension? Does it not have an acceleration in the x direction just because it's traveling at a constant velocity in the x direction (i.e., does it assume the explosion doesn't affect velocity in the x direction, albeit momentarily)?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2012 #2
    1/ it was fired straight upwards

2/ shaped charge setup to fire straight downwards

TBH it sounds like a really stupid question. If it "explodes" some portion of the fragments will expand outwards in all directions ...

4. Nov 25, 2012 #3
    Ah. My bad. I was assuming for some reason that it wasn't fired straight up. And yeah, I just wish it said split or something rather than "explodes". Anyway, I appreciate the help : D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook