A shell explodes into two identical fragments; find v

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of a shell exploding into two identical fragments, with one fragment moving vertically and the other fragment's velocity immediately following the explosion being unknown. The student attempts to solve using the conservation of momentum equation, but forgets to consider the separate horizontal and vertical momenta as vectors.
toboldlygo

Homework Statement

[/B]
A shell of mass m and speed v explodes into two identical fragments. If the shell was moving horizontally (the positive x direction) with respect to Earth, and one of the fragments is subsequently moving vertically with speed v, find the velocity v of the other fragment immediately following the explosion. (Use the following as necessary: v.)

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum: m1iv1i= 0.5m1fv1f+0.5m2fv2f

The Attempt at a Solution

So, what I did was set mv=.5mv+.5mv. Solving for v, I get v=v. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to be using the conservation of momentum equation, but I don't know where I'm going wrong. Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
toboldlygo said:
set mv=.5mv+.5mv.
Velocity and momentum are vectors. Your notation is very unclear, but it seems to me that on the right there you are adding momenta in two different directions as though they are scalars.
Consider horizontal and vertical momentum separately.

Likes toboldlygo
haruspex said:
Velocity and momentum are vectors. Your notation is very unclear, but it seems to me that on the right there you are adding momenta in two different directions as though they are scalars.
Consider horizontal and vertical momentum separately.

Oh wow, that simplifies things so much. Thank you! Even though I've been using vectors for well over five weeks now I completely forgot.

What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a shell explosion into two identical fragments?

The equation for calculating the velocity (v) of a shell explosion into two identical fragments is v = √(E/m), where E is the energy released by the explosion and m is the mass of each fragment.

How do you determine the energy released by a shell explosion?

The energy released by a shell explosion can be determined by using the equation E = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the shell and v is the velocity of the explosion.

Can the velocity of the fragments be different?

Yes, the velocity of the fragments can be different if there is uneven distribution of energy during the explosion or if there are external factors such as air resistance or other forces acting on the fragments.

What factors can affect the velocity of the fragments?

The velocity of the fragments can be affected by the type of explosive used, the mass of the shell, the distance between the fragments, and external factors such as air resistance or other forces.

Why is it important to calculate the velocity of the fragments in a shell explosion?

Calculating the velocity of the fragments in a shell explosion can provide valuable information for understanding the destructive power of the explosion and can help in designing safer and more effective explosives.