Exploring the Electric Field of a Moving Charge

In summary: In a single wire excluding second and other wires, the electric field will look like this?......The electric field of the electrons on the wire can only be seen relative to the return circuit wire, which is at a different voltage and so establishes an electric field between the two wires. You need to know the geometry of the wires.
Rev. Cheeseman
How does an electric field of a moving charge, for example a moving electron, inside a wire looks like? Does it looks like this with distorted circular radial lines?

3-Figure2-1.png

• Skeptical
Likes TonyStewart
Physics news on Phys.org
I would again recommend that you get some computer algebra software and program this yourself. Then you would know it is right.

That said, this is not the field of an electron in a wire. It is roughly the field of a classical charge undergoing a brief acceleration in free space.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd
Dale said:
I would again recommend that you get some computer algebra software and program this yourself. Then you would know it is right.

That said, this is not the field of an electron in a wire. It is the field of a classical charge undergoing a brief acceleration in free space.

I don't know how to programmed it myself as I'm just a person who are interested in physics with very limited mathematics background.

I tried to find pictures online on how an electric field of a moving charge inside a wire looks like, but there are just too many and I'm confused. What is the real difference between the electric field and the magnetic field of a, say, radio wave? Is electric field of a radio wave just a magnetic field viewed from different perspectives?

wonderingchicken said:
I don't know how to programmed it myself
We can help with that too. And then at the end you will have actually learned EM and programming

wonderingchicken said:
What is the real difference between the electric field and the magnetic field of a, say, radio wave?
There isn’t “really” a separate magnetic and electric field. They are different components of the electromagnetic field. The “real” thing is the combined electromagnetic field.

wonderingchicken said:
I tried to find pictures online on how an electric field of a moving charge inside a wire looks like
Inside a wire it doesn’t make too much sense to think about the field of an individual charge. They behave collectively. Their collective field simply points along the wire proportional to the current density.

Last edited:
Dale said:
Their collective field simply points along the wire proportional to the current density.

Like this?

fig6.gif

No, that is exactly what I said doesn’t make too much sense.

That figure is for people who already understand electromagnetism and are trying to use it to learn relativity. I don’t think “Purcell Simplified” will help you.

Dale said:

That figure is for people who already understand electromagnetism and are trying to use it to learn relativity. I don’t think it will help you.

Can you think of any links that show the closest representations of what electric fields of every charges, not just individually but instead as the whole, actually look like?

wonderingchicken said:
Can you think of any links that show the closest representations of what electric fields of every charges, not just individually but instead as the whole, actually look like?
In what situation?

Dale said:
In what situation?

For example, in current-carrying wires.

wonderingchicken said:
How does an electric field of a moving charge, for example a moving electron, inside a wire looks like?
How would you know which was your selected electron, there are so many other free electrons, going every which way, while drifting slowly along together as a current.

Baluncore said:
How would you know which was your selected electron, there are so many other free electrons, going every which way, while drifting slowly along together as a current.

wonderingchicken said:
The electric field of the electrons on the wire can only be seen relative to the return circuit wire, which is at a different voltage and so establishes an electric field between the two wires. You need to know the geometry of the wires.
The equal and opposite current in the two wires, will sum to generate a magnetic field.

Top right;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_dipole_moment#/media/File:VFPt_dipoles_electric.svg

Last edited:
Baluncore said:
The electric field of the electrons on the wire can only be seen relative to the return circuit wire, which is at a different voltage and so establishes an electric field between the two wires. You need to know the geometry of the wires.
The equal and opposite current in the two wires, will sum to generate a magnetic field.

Top right;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_dipole_moment#/media/File:VFPt_dipoles_electric.svg

In a single wire excluding second and other wires, the electric field will look like this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_charge#/media/File:VFPt_plus_thumb.svg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_charge#/media/File:VFPt_minus_thumb.svg

wonderingchicken said:
... the electric fields coming out from this wire excluding the other wires ...
The electric field is radial, falling towards zero volts at an infinite distance, but that is impossible with a current carrying circuit because there must be a return conductor for current to flow. Notice the magnetic field is orthogonal to the electric field.

Baluncore said:
The electric field is radial, falling towards zero volts at an infinite distance, but that is impossible with a current carrying circuit because there must be a return conductor for current to flow.

Therefore, the electric field for that current carrying wire will be like this.

2000px-Electric_dipole_field_lines.svg_large.png

Baluncore said:
Notice the magnetic field is orthogonal to the electric field.

Is there a way to make the electric fields and magnetic fields to be non-perpendicular, for example parallel? Looks like someone can make how the electric and magnetic fields propagate depending on how someone designed the source. I saw some articles about cavity resonators generating parallel electric and magnetic fields few days ago so I think that's possible. I'll try to find the article later.

wonderingchicken said:
I saw some articles about cavity resonators generating parallel electric and magnetic fields few days ago so I think that's possible.
Yes, but it is not useful, and it attenuates rapidly to make EM waves propagating as orthogonal E and M fields.

The cross product of E and M is the Poynting vector, the direction of energy flow, which is orthogonal to E and M, so is into or out of the paper, parallel to the current.

Baluncore said:
Yes, but it is not useful, and it attenuates rapidly to make EM waves propagating as orthogonal E and M fields.

The cross product of E and M is the Poynting vector, the direction of energy flow, which is orthogonal to E and M, so is into or out of the paper, parallel to the current.
I guessed you've read the article, may I ask what is the title of the article? I forgot the title.

Last edited:
Dale said:

That figure is for people who already understand electromagnetism and are trying to use it to learn relativity. I don’t think “Purcell Simplified” will help you.
I don't think Purcell will help you at all, because the wire is treated not correctly there. The correct treatment is here:

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/relativistic-dc.pdf

Likes hutchphd and Dale
wonderingchicken said:
I guessed you've read the article, may I ask what is the title of the article?
What article? What media? What about?

Baluncore said:
What article? What media? What about?
The article in which you said "Yes, but it is not useful, and it attenuates rapidly to make EM waves propagating as orthogonal E and M fields."

wonderingchicken said:
The article in which you said "Yes, but it is not useful, and it attenuates rapidly to make EM waves propagating as orthogonal E and M fields."
I do not recall such an article.

Baluncore said:
I do not recall such an article.
So, how do you arrive at the conclusion?

wonderingchicken said:
So, how do you arrive at the conclusion?
Which conclusion exactly?
I have been working in the world of EM and instrumentation for more than 40 years. I guess I might have picked a few things up along the way.

Baluncore said:
Which conclusion exactly?

Here, "Yes, but it is not useful, and it attenuates rapidly to make EM waves propagating as orthogonal E and M
fields."

Baluncore said:
I have been working in the world of EM and instrumentation for more than 40 years. I guess I might have picked a few things up along the way.

Ok?

Last edited:
wonderingchicken said:
For example, in current-carrying wires.
Yes, I have a very good reference for that. But first, why are you looking for these diagrams? Do you just want pretty pictures to decorate your wall, or are you hoping to accomplish something?

• Skeptical
Likes Vanadium 50 and Rev. Cheeseman
Dale said:
But first, why are you looking for these diagrams? Do you just want pretty pictures to decorate your wall, or are you hoping to accomplish something?

As decorations to show the varieties of forms of electric/magnetic fields.

wonderingchicken said:
As decorations to show the varieties of forms of electric/magnetic fields.
Then it doesn’t really matter. Search the internet for the pictures you like the best. We are here for educational purposes, not decorating purposes.

Thread temporarily closed for mentor discussion

• Skeptical
Likes Rev. Cheeseman and weirdoguy
After a Mentor discussion, this thread will remain closed.

• Skeptical
Likes Rev. Cheeseman and weirdoguy

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field of a moving charge different from that of a stationary charge?

The electric field of a moving charge is different because it includes the effects of both the electric field created by the charge itself and the magnetic field created by its motion. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic radiation.

3. How do you calculate the electric field of a moving charge?

The electric field of a moving charge can be calculated using the formula E = (1/4πε0) * (q/r2) * (1 - β2sin2θ)-3/2, where q is the charge of the particle, r is the distance from the particle, β is the velocity of the particle as a fraction of the speed of light, and θ is the angle between the direction of motion and the direction of the electric field.

4. How does the electric field of a moving charge affect other charged particles?

The electric field of a moving charge can exert a force on other charged particles, causing them to accelerate or change direction. This is the basis for many technologies, such as electric motors and generators.

5. What are some real-world applications of exploring the electric field of a moving charge?

Studying the electric field of a moving charge has many practical applications, including understanding the behavior of particles in accelerators and designing electronic devices such as televisions and computers. It also has implications in the fields of telecommunications, astronomy, and medical imaging.