Feynman Diagrams: Uncovering the Issue

In summary, there is an issue with the work packet that guides students on how to make Feynman diagrams. The problem in question has conflicting instructions, with some indicating time going left to right and others going down to up. If read left to right, the lepton number of the incoming exchange particle would have to be -2, but if read down to up, it could be a rare case of pair production. There is also a discrepancy with the direction of the arrows for antiparticles. The original poster is seeking clarification on whether or not this problem is valid, but it seems to have ignored the convention for arrows.
Cardinalmont
Gold Member
Hello,

I assigned a work packet to my IB Physics students that guides them through how to make Feynman diagrams. This particular problem seems to have some issue, but perhaps it is something that myself and my class have all over looked.

Note: At the beginning of the packet it states that some diagrams have time go left to right and others down to up.

The issue we have is that the problems shows it should be read left to right. If the problem is read left to right, then the lepton number of the incoming exchange particle would have to be -2.
If the problem is read down to up, then this could be a rare case of pair production.

What do you think? Help please!

Second Note: The direction of the arrows for antiparticles such us the antimuon are meant to go against the flow of time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 3.04.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 3.04.06 PM.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 548
Physics news on Phys.org
Cardinalmont said:
If the problem is read left to right

It is labeled "before" and "after"

Cardinalmont said:
then the lepton number of the incoming exchange particle would have to be -2.

The arrows don't match the labels. "Against the flow of time" is nonsense. There is a convention for arrows; one cannot just pick another one.

Likes BvU
Both things that you addressed were things that I had already addressed in my original post and were not helpful. I stated that the problem was to be read from left to right, this is based on the label before and after. I also stated the convention for arrows in the second note of my post.

Maybe I was unclear. I did not create this work packet, nor did I create these conventions. I am just asking if this problem is definitely invalid

Let me repeat. There is a convention for arrows; one cannot just pick another one. This problem seems not to have followed the convention. There's no more that can really be said.

1. What are Feynman diagrams?

Feynman diagrams are graphical representations of mathematical equations that are used to describe interactions between subatomic particles in quantum field theory. They were developed by physicist Richard Feynman in the 1940s and have become an important tool in understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. What is the purpose of using Feynman diagrams?

The purpose of using Feynman diagrams is to visually represent complex mathematical equations that describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. They allow scientists to better understand and predict the interactions between particles in quantum field theory.

3. How do Feynman diagrams work?

Feynman diagrams work by representing particles as lines and their interactions as points where the lines meet. The lines can also represent the exchange of virtual particles between particles. The diagrams follow certain rules and can be used to calculate the probability amplitudes for various particle interactions.

4. Are Feynman diagrams accurate representations of particle interactions?

Feynman diagrams are not meant to be accurate representations of actual particle interactions, but rather a useful tool for visualizing and calculating the probability amplitudes for these interactions. They are based on mathematical equations and are subject to certain limitations and simplifications.

5. How are Feynman diagrams used in scientific research?

Feynman diagrams are used extensively in scientific research, particularly in the fields of particle physics and quantum field theory. They are used to make predictions about the behavior of particles and to test the validity of various theories. They are also used in calculations and experiments to investigate the fundamental forces and interactions of the universe.