1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential Attenuation and Beta Particle Range

1. Oct 9, 2008 #1
    Exponential Attenuation and Beta Particle Range (solved)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am given a beta emitter and its atomic mass, as well as the atomic mass of its daughter, which have a difference of 0.0034 amu. I am to determine the range of the particles in air.

2. Relevant equations
    I am given the law of exponential attenuation:
    And substituted for mass attenuation coefficient:
    um and p(rho) are readily available, and can be considered given

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I am looking for x, but I do not know I0 (is there some relation between mass or energy and intensity?), and if I'm looking for the range, I assume I to be 0 (if intensity is energy flux x velocity, at the end of the range it must approach 0) which opens up all sorts of nasty when we try to find ln0 (which, essentially approaches infinity).
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. What is the relevance of the mass defect?

2. You can not set I=0, because that will only happen at x=infty, which is useless.

3. You want to find a characteristic length scale, typically the distance over which the intensity drops by a factor of e.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?