How do you solve a non-linear ODE involving a variable mass dust particle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the velocity of a falling dust particle with exponentially increasing mass. The equation of interest is derived and is found to be a non-linear ODE. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of using separation of variables and dividing both sides of the equation by the entire right hand side to solve the equation.
Matt_993

Homework Statement

At time t=0 a dust particle of mass m_0 starts to fall from rest through a cloud. Its mass grows exponentially with the distance fallen, so that after falling through a distance x its mass is m_0exp[αx] where α is constant. Show that at time t the velocity of the particle is given by:

v=sqrt(g/α)tanh(t(sqrt(αg))

Homework Equations

Variable mass equation:

mg= mv'+vm'

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the variable mass equation I've fiddled around with it and gotten out a differential equation in terms of v, which is:

dv/dt=-αv^2+g

Which after filling in the answer I am looking for is the correct equation. However solving it properly by hand seems harder as its a non-linear ODE. I was just wondering is there any other way of going about this problem or if not, can anyone give me a tip on how to solve the ODE properly.

Thank you for your time

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Matt_993. Welcome to PF!

Matt_993 said:
Using the variable mass equation I've fiddled around with it and gotten out a differential equation in terms of v, which is:

dv/dt=-αy^2+g

Did you mistype this? What does the symbol y stand for?

Once you get the equation written in terms of just 2 variables, you might try the technique of separation of variables.

Yea the y should've been a v, I've changed it. But I can't seem to be able to separate the variables in the equation because of g, is there another way?

Matt_993 said:
Yea the y should've been a v, I've changed it. But I can't seem to be able to separate the variables in the equation because of g, is there another way?

Divide both sides of the equation by the entire right hand side.

How very stupid of me, can't believe I missed that.

That works, thanks for the help :)

1. What is a variable mass dust particle?

A variable mass dust particle is a tiny particle made up of various materials, such as minerals, chemicals, or organic matter, that can have a changing mass due to its ability to absorb or release gases, liquids, or other particles from its surroundings.

2. How are variable mass dust particles formed?

Variable mass dust particles are formed through a variety of processes, such as volcanic eruptions, weathering of rocks, and human activities like burning fossil fuels. These processes break down larger materials into smaller particles, which can then accumulate and form dust particles.

3. What are the effects of variable mass dust particles on the environment?

Variable mass dust particles can have both positive and negative effects on the environment. On one hand, they can act as nutrients for plants and contribute to the formation of clouds and rain. On the other hand, they can also contribute to air pollution and have harmful effects on human health.

4. How do scientists study variable mass dust particles?

Scientists study variable mass dust particles through various methods, such as collecting and analyzing samples, using remote sensing techniques, and conducting experiments in controlled environments. They also use computer models to simulate and understand the behavior of dust particles in different environments.

5. Can variable mass dust particles have an impact on climate change?

Yes, variable mass dust particles can have an impact on climate change. They can affect the Earth's temperature by reflecting or absorbing sunlight, contribute to the formation of clouds and precipitation, and transport nutrients and pollutants to different regions of the world. Therefore, understanding the behavior and effects of dust particles is crucial in accurately predicting and mitigating the effects of climate change.