1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential differential equation

1. Feb 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A curve passes through the point (0,6) and has the property that the slope of the curve at every point P is twice the y-coordinate of P. What is the equation of the curve?

2. Relevant equations
    Y=Yoe^kx is a solution of (dy/dx)=ky, where k is constant

3. The attempt at a solution
    I integrated to get the equation for Y above but I am not given any equation to relate x and Y. My initial thought was to set dy/dx=2ky since the slope is always twice the y value. I need to find k but I can't do that without knowing a way to relate x and Y.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Doesn't "slope is always twice the y value" mean dy/dx=2y? Compare that to your relevant equation to figure out what k is.

4. Feb 24, 2009 #3
    I've tried that as well but I am still left with no way to relate Y to x.

5. Feb 24, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why don't you show what you tried? You get Y0 by making sure (0,6) is on the curve.

6. Feb 24, 2009 #5
    One thought I had was since I knew the slope was twice the y coordinate of point P, I said that (y-y1)/(x-x1)=2y, using 6 as y1 and 0 as x1. This gives me y=6/(1-2x). When I use this to find matching x and y, I plugged them into the Y=Yoe^kx equation and came out with a negative value for k. This can't be correct since the slope is positive. Right?

7. Feb 24, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The slope they are talking about is the slope of the tangent line. That's just y'. You are making this too hard. Just write down the solution of y'=2y. What is it? Then try to figure out Y0. Then you are done.

8. Feb 24, 2009 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Also, the work you did here can be used to give the equation of a straight line between (0, 6) and some point (x, y). It doesn't give you y as a function of x for the curve itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook