Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential distribution, memory

1. Feb 5, 2014 #1
    I am told that an exponential distribution is memoryless. But why aren't other distributions, such as the normal distribution, also memoryless? If I pick a random number from an exponential distribution, it is not effected by previously chosen random numbers. But isn't that also the case for a normal distribution, for example?

What do I misunderstand?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2014 #2
    I think when people say the exponential distribution is memoryless, they mean that, for any exponentially distributed random variable [itex]X[/itex], the distribution of [itex]X-x[/itex] conditional on the event [itex]\{X\geq x\}[/itex] is the same as the distribution of [itex]X[/itex].

It's easy to check that that the normal distribution (or, in fact, anything that can take on negative values) can't satisfy the above property.

4. Feb 5, 2014 #3

statdad

Homework Helper

The memory less notion refers to the fact that for any positive numbers s and t

[tex]
    P(X > s + t | X > t) = P(X > s)
    [/tex]

It can be shown that this property gives the exponential distribution as the unique continuous distribution with the property.

5. Feb 5, 2014 #4
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook