Exponential functions, and complex numbers

In summary, the conversation is about solving a complex equation involving exponential and logarithmic functions. The solution involves taking the logarithm of both sides of the equation and using trigonometry to find the value of z. The final answer may have multiple possible values.
string_656
hey I am doing some questions outta a txt book, i sort of understand complex numbers, like multiplying and dividing, ..

The question asks to rearrange for z,
e^(iz) = i - 1

im not sure what to do with the exponential function.

thanks for the help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the log function for complex variables?

hmmm no... that sounds like that could help

.. does any 1 no how i could solve this?

You want to take the log of both sides of the equation. Look in your textbook for more information.

Note: some books use ln instead of log.

HTH

Petek

hmm ok so that gives...

z = ln(i - 1)/i
it can't be that easy?

what about... since e^(iz) = cos(z) + isin(z)

cos(z) + isin(z) = i - 1
Then how would i solve for Z?

Think about where the line segment between i - 1 and 1 intersects the unit circle. Use trigonometry since exp(z)=exp(x+y*i)=exp(x)*[cos(y)+i*sin(y)]

string_656 said:
hmm ok so that gives...

z = ln(i - 1)/i
it can't be that easy?

what about... since e^(iz) = cos(z) + isin(z)

cos(z) + isin(z) = i - 1
Then how would i solve for Z?

z = ln(i - 1)/i
is right, it depends on the form you want the answer in

solving this will work but z will be complex
cos(z) + isin(z) = i - 1

write i-1=sqrt(2)(i*sqrt(2)/2-sqrt(2)/2)
then solve
exp(x)=sqrt(2)
and
cos(y) + isin(y)=(i*sqrt(2)/2-sqrt(2)/2)
y real so
cos(y)=-sqrt(2)/2
sin(y)=sqrt(2)/2
tan(y)=-1

hmm ok .. just a question, when its iz = ln|i-1|

wouldnt i go z = ln(i-1) * (0+i)
(0 - i) * (0+i)
because I am just remembering when you divide complex numbers that's all.

opps that didnt post right
wouldnt i go z = ln(i-1)/(0 - i) *(0+i)/(0+i)

exp(iz)=i-1
take log
log(exp(iz))=log(i-1)
log cancels exp
iz=log(i-1)
divide by i
z=log(i-1)/i
that is the principle value , there are others

oh, ok thanks.

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a function in which the independent variable appears in an exponent. It is often written in the form f(x) = ab^x, where a and b are constants. These functions grow or decay rapidly as x increases or decreases, respectively.

2. What are the properties of exponential functions?

Exponential functions have several important properties, including a constant base, a positive range, and a continuously increasing or decreasing graph. They also have a horizontal asymptote at y = 0 or a vertical asymptote at x = 0, depending on the direction of growth or decay.

3. How are complex numbers represented?

Complex numbers are represented in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit, defined as the square root of -1. The real part (a) represents the horizontal axis and the imaginary part (bi) represents the vertical axis on the complex plane.

4. What is the relationship between exponential functions and complex numbers?

Exponential functions can be expressed using complex numbers, particularly when the base is a complex number. For example, e^(ix) can be written as cos(x) + isin(x), and this relationship is known as Euler's formula. Complex numbers can also be used to represent the growth or decay of exponential functions in the complex plane.

5. How are exponential functions and complex numbers used in real-world applications?

Exponential functions and complex numbers are used in many fields of science and technology, such as physics, engineering, and finance. They are particularly useful in modeling growth and decay in natural phenomena, such as population growth or radioactive decay. They are also used in calculations involving electricity, waves, and other complex systems.