Exponential growth problem (at least I think it is)

In summary: No. Use the quotient rule.I did, and that's what I got. Did I miss something somewhere?No, I'm wrong. Sorry. I thought your answer was 6 - \frac {3ln(t^{2})}{9t^{2}}. :redface:All you missed were some parentheses:M'(t) = (6 - 3\ln(t^2))\ /\ (9t^2)I checked with Mathematica to make sure it's right.So now that I've got my trusty derivative. Where do I go from here?Set it equal to zero and solve for t. You''ll get two answers, but
Random-Hero-

Homework Statement

The measure of effectiveness of a sleep deprived student studying for a test on a scale of 0 to 1 is given by the formula M(t) = ln(t^2) / 3t, where 't' is the time in hours that a student spends studying, 0 < t ≤ 4.

Determine the maximum measure of effectiveness of studying and the time at which it is reached.

The Attempt at a Solution

In all honest I've got no idea what going on here, this was just an easter-egg question our teacher handed out at the end of class for a few extra marks. We haven't covered this in class yet, and I'm trying to absorb as much information as possible from my utterly useless textbook, but it's not going very well. It's all just a jumble of balderdash to me at the moment! lol!

If anyone could help me figure this out I'd really appreciate it! I got to keep my average at 91% of else my university acceptance gets withdrawn! every mark helps!

Thanks again everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea is to maximise M with respect to t.

To do this, you can either plot a graph of M against t, or use differentiation.

Is the derivative

M'(t) = 6 - 3ln(t^2) / 9t^2

?

Random-Hero- said:
Is the derivative

M'(t) = 6 - 3ln(t^2) / 9t^2

?

No. Use the quotient rule.

I did, and that's what I got. Did I miss something somewhere?

No, I'm wrong. Sorry. I thought your answer was [tex] 6 - \frac {3ln(t^{2})}{9t^{2}}[/tex]. :redface:

All you missed were some parentheses:
[tex]M'(t) = (6 - 3\ln(t^2))\ /\ (9t^2)[/tex]
I checked with Mathematica to make sure it's right.

So now that I've got my trusty derivative. Where do I go from here?

Set it equal to zero and solve for t. You''ll get two answers, but one isn't in your domain.

From a graph of this function, I see a maximum somewhere between 2.6 and 2.75. BTW, this is not exponential growth, nor even logarithmic growth. I don't think there's a name for this kind of function.

Well I ended up getting t = 2.72, and subbing that into the original equation I get M(t) = 0.245.

So hopefully its correct, and I'll post back and let ya'll know how it went! Thanks again everyone for the help!

Random-Hero- said:
Well I ended up getting t = 2.72. So hopefully its correct, and I'll post back and let ya'll know how it went! Thanks again everyone for the help!

You don't have to round. The answer is e.

[tex] \frac {6 - 3ln(t^{2})}{9t^{2}} = 0 [/tex]

[tex] 6- 3ln(t^{2}) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] ln(t^{2}) = 2 [/tex]

[tex] t^{2} = e^{2} [/tex]

[tex] t = e [/tex] (since -e is not between 0 and 4)

Last edited:
You can use the second derivative test to check that e is indeed a maximum. Find the second derivative of M(t) and evaluate it at e. If it's less than zero, then e is a maximum.

Last edited:

1. What is exponential growth and how is it different from linear growth?

Exponential growth is a type of growth where the quantity being measured increases at an increasingly rapid rate. This means that the growth rate is proportional to the current value of the quantity, resulting in a rapid increase over time. In contrast, linear growth is a steady increase at a constant rate.

2. What are some real-life examples of exponential growth?

Some examples of exponential growth include population growth, the spread of infectious diseases, and compound interest in finance. It can also be seen in the rapid growth of technological advancements, such as the number of devices connected to the internet.

3. How can we calculate the rate of exponential growth?

The rate of exponential growth can be calculated using the formula y = abx, where y is the final value, a is the initial value, and b is the growth rate. This formula is also known as the exponential growth function.

4. What are some potential problems associated with exponential growth?

Some potential problems associated with exponential growth include resource depletion, strain on infrastructure, and environmental damage. It can also lead to economic issues, such as inflation and financial instability.

5. How can we control or mitigate the effects of exponential growth?

To control or mitigate the effects of exponential growth, we can implement measures such as sustainable resource management, population control measures, and investments in infrastructure. Additionally, regulations and policies can be put in place to address the negative impacts of exponential growth on the environment and economy.