Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential of a large negative number

1. Jul 10, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I read on a previous post that to calculate the exponential of a large negative number I use the formula:
    e-r=10(-rloge)
    This is just a quick question but it it meant to be a log 10 or natural log and also is it meant to be loge0 or loge1

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2015 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

What is e raised to the zero power? What is the natural log of that? What is the base 10 log of that? Would either interpretation make any sense?

What is e raised to the first power? What is the natural log of that? Would that interpretation make any sense?

Can you use the law of exponents, (ab)c = abc to derive the formula in question?

4. Jul 10, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It should be obvious that if that were a natural logarithm, then ln(e) would be 1 and there would be no reason to write it!
    I can see no reason to as if the "e" is [itex]e^0[/itex] or [itex]e^1[/itex]. Any number, a, by itself, is [itex]a^1[/itex]. Any number, including e, to the 0 power is 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook