Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential Power Series Expansion

1. Sep 16, 2011 #1
    I want to show that [itex] e^x e^x = e^{2x} [/itex] using a power series expansion. So I start with

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!} \sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{x^m}{m!} [/tex]
    [tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!} \frac{x^m}{m!} [/tex]
    [tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{x^{m+n}}{m!n!} [/tex]

I am at a loss of where to go from here. I want to reduce the last expression down to [itex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(2x)^n}{n!} [/itex] but I am not sure of how to get rid of one of the summations.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2011 #2
    I think I got it...in case anyone was interested.

I can use a substitution on the indicies of the double series as follows. Let [itex] m=q [/itex] and [itex] n=p-q [/itex], with the condition that [itex] q \le p [/itex]. This gives

[tex] \sum_{p=0}^\infty \sum_{q=0}^p \frac{x^q}{q!}\frac{x^{p-q}}{(p-q)!} [/tex]
    Which one recognizes as a binomial expansion. Where [itex] \frac{(x+x)^n}{n!} = \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{1}{k!(n-k)!} x^k x^{n-k} [/itex]. Thus our double series reduces down to

[tex] \sum_{p=0}^\infty \frac{(x+x)^p}{p!} = e^{2x} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook