Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential sums and congruences

1. Oct 27, 2008 #1
    let be the exponential sum

[tex] S= \sum_{n=1}^{N}e( \frac{f(x)}{p}) [/tex]

[tex] e(x)= exp( 2i \pi x) [/tex]

my conjecture is that since the complex exponential takes its maximum value '1' when x is equal to an integer then

[tex] Re(S)= \Pi (f,N) [/tex] with [tex]\Pi (f,N) [/tex] is the number of solutions on the interval (1,N) of the congruence

[tex] f(x) =0 mod(p) [/tex] and f(x) is a Polynomial.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question- but what's [itex]p[/tex]? Or did you mean [itex]n[/tex] instead or [itex]p[/tex] as the number of prime factors of [itex]n[/tex] or something?

4. Nov 5, 2008 #3
    any prime

5. Nov 5, 2008 #4
    I still don't get over what exactly that summation for [itex]S[/tex] is done. A clarification please?

6. Nov 6, 2008 #5
    o sorry.. i should have written

[tex] S= \sum_{n=1}^{N}e( \frac{f(n)}{p}) [/tex]

the sum is taken over 'n' but if the prime 'p' divides f(n) then the complex exponential is equal to '1'

7. Nov 6, 2008 #6
    Okay then [itex]p[/tex] is a prime of one's choosing.

We have,

[tex]S = \sum_{n = 1}^{N} \exp{\left(\frac{2\pi i}{p}f(n)\right)}[/tex]

Then,
    [tex]\Re(S) = \sum_{n = 1}^{N} \cos{\left(\frac{2\pi}{p}f(n)\right)}[/tex]

If [itex]f(n)[/tex] is a multiple of [itex]p[/tex], then the the real part of [itex]S[/tex] will 'count' each solution of that congruence, but what about certain [itex]f(n)[/tex] values that don't and hence give rise to non-zero real and imaginary components? They won't be 1 in a single go, but they can possibly accumulate to values greater than 1 I think. So some bounds for such a theorem also become necessary if I haven't missed anything.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?