Solve Exponential Fraction Equation for $α$ ($C$, $m$)

In summary: I am just trying to find a way to write the solution in a general form, so that I can plug in different values of m and C and get an estimate for alpha based on those values.In summary, Stijn is looking for a way to solve the equation $\frac{1-e^{(m+1)*\alpha}}{1-e^{\alpha}}= C + 1$ for $\alpha$, but it only has closed form solutions for $m+1 \le 4$. Beyond that, approximation algorithms are needed.
Stijn
I want to create a binary matrix (${X}_{m*n}$) containing $C$ ones ($||X|| = C$). Additionally I want to have the number of elements of each row ($m$) to have an exponential form. This is: for each row the number elements needs to be equal to $e^{alpha * i}$ or in symbols: ||${X}_{i}$|| = $e^{alpha*i}$.

As the total number of ones is known ($C$), we can say that: $||X|| =\sum_{i=1}^{m}e^{alpha*i} = C$
Based on the function of the sum of geometric series ($\sum_{a=0}^{A-1} {b}^{a}=\d{1-{b}^{A}}{1-b}$) we can rewrite the equation as:

$\frac{1-e^{(m+1)*\alpha}}{1-e^{\alpha}}= C + 1$

Is there a way to solve alpha out of this function and write the equation as: $\alpha = f(C, m)$?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Stijn! Welcome to MHB! ;)

Let me restrict myself to your immediate question:
Stijn said:
$\frac{1-e^{(m+1)*\alpha}}{1-e^{\alpha}}= C + 1$

Is there a way to solve alpha out of this function and write the equation as: $\alpha = f(C, m)$?

We can rewrite it as:
$$x^{m+1} - (C+1)x + C = 0$$
where $x = e^\alpha$.
Such a polynomial only has closed form solutions when $m+1 \le 4$.
We do have the solution $x=1$ or $\alpha=0$ though, meaning we can reduce the polynomial by one degree, so we can solve it up to $m=4$.
Beyond that we need approximation algorithms.

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response. As I was suspecting, no exact solution exists (other than $\alpha = 0$). I am able to estimate the values for different m and C values.

1. How do I solve an exponential fraction equation for $α$?

To solve an exponential fraction equation for $α$, you should first isolate the exponential term on one side of the equation. Then, take the logarithm of both sides to bring the exponential term down. Finally, solve for $α$ using algebraic manipulation.

2. What is the first step in solving an exponential fraction equation for $α$?

The first step in solving an exponential fraction equation for $α$ is to isolate the exponential term on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division, to move all other terms to the opposite side.

3. Can I use any base when solving an exponential fraction equation for $α$?

Yes, you can use any base when solving an exponential fraction equation for $α$. However, it is often helpful to choose a base that is easy to work with, such as 10 or e.

4. How do I know if I have solved an exponential fraction equation for $α$ correctly?

To check if you have solved an exponential fraction equation for $α$ correctly, you can substitute the value you have found for $α$ back into the original equation. If the equation is satisfied, then your solution is correct.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when solving an exponential fraction equation for $α$?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving an exponential fraction equation for $α$. These include equations with negative exponents, equations with fractions as exponents, and equations with variables in the base. It is important to handle these cases carefully and use appropriate algebraic techniques to solve for $α$.