Express dV/dt in terms of dr/dt - Derivative Word Problem

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 26K views
bobraymund
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Air is being pumped into a spherical weather balloon. At any time t, the volume of the balloon is V(t) and its radius is r(t).

Express dV/dt in terms of dr/dt.


2. The attempt at a solution

Volume of a Sphere = 4/3 pi r3

I took the derivative of the formula above and got:
3pir2_fracdrdt.gif


I ended up getting:
_LARGE__fracdVdt4pir2_fracdrdt.gif


Did I do this completely wrong? If so, what am I supposed to do?

Thanks,
Bob
 
Attachments
  • 3pir2_fracdrdt.gif
    3pir2_fracdrdt.gif
    1,021 bytes · Views: 898
Physics news on Phys.org
You're right on the money.

In LaTeX script, your equation looks like this:
[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}~=~4\pi r^2 \frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]

To see the script, click on the expression, and another browser window opens with the LaTeX script.
 
bobraymund said:

Homework Statement



Air is being pumped into a spherical weather balloon. At any time t, the volume of the balloon is V(t) and its radius is r(t).

Express dV/dt in terms of dr/dt.


2. The attempt at a solution

Volume of a Sphere = 4/3 pi r3

I took the derivative of the formula above and got:
3pir2_fracdrdt.gif


I ended up getting:
_LARGE__fracdVdt4pir2_fracdrdt.gif


Did I do this completely wrong? If so, what am I supposed to do?

Thanks,
Bob
I don't see anything at all wrong with it!
 
Thanks guys!

Mark44 said:
In LaTeX script, your equation looks like this:
[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}~=~4\pi r^2 \frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]

To see the script, click on the expression, and another browser window opens with the LaTeX script.

Oh, thanks. I've been using a site called Texify to generate all these pictures! This will save a lot of my time in the future.

Thanks again,
Bob