Express Laplace Transform of y(t) in given form.

In summary, the Laplace transform of y(t) is Y(s) = \frac{2s+7}{s^{2}+2s+7} + \frac{e^{-s}}{s(s^{2}+2s+7)} + \frac{1}{s^{2}(s^{2}+2s+7)}+\frac{e^{-s}}{s^{2}(s^{2}+2s+7)}.
chinye11

Homework Statement

y(t) solves the following IVP

y''(t) + 2y'(t) + 10y(t) = r(t)
y(0) = 2
y'(0) = 3
r(t) =
0 if t < 0
t if 0 ≤ t ≤ 1
0 if t > 1

Demonstrate that the laplace transform of y(t) is

Y(s) = [itex]\frac{2s+7}{s^{2}+2s+7}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{e^{-s}}{s(s^{2}+2s+7)}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{s^{2}(s^{2}+2s+7)}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{e^{-s}}{s^{2}(s^{2}+2s+7)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

H(t) is the heaviside step function which is 0 when t is less than 0 and 1 when t is greater than 1, (undefined at 0.)

Tables of common laplace transforms are available on the internet e.g. http://www.rapidtables.com/math/calculus/laplace_transform.htm

3. Attempt at a Solution
Okay so I use the laplace transform on both sides of the equation with
r(t) defined as t H(t) - t H(t-1)

When I calculate this I finish with

[itex]\frac{2s+7}{s^{2}+2s+7}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{s^{2}(s^{2}+2s+7)}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{e^{-s}}{s^{2}(s^{2}+2s+7)}[/itex]

This is similar to the needed answer however I seem to have dropped a factor of se-s on the right side somewhere and I cannot see any mistakes in the algebra.

Is my definition of r(t) correct and am I correct to say that the laplace transform of t H(t) - t H(t-1) is

[itex]\frac{1}{s^{2}}[/itex] -e[itex]^{s}[/itex]([itex]\frac{1}{s^{2}}[/itex])?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, ##r(t) = t(H(t) - H(t-1))## but you are missing a term in the transform. You can check it yourself by just calculating the integral$$
\int_0^1 te^{-st}\, dt$$

OK, Thanks very much, I realized that I had applied the shifting theorem to an equation of the form:
y(t) (H(t-a)) when y(t-a) (H(t-a)) is required

This dropped a H(t-1) term which was the missing term.

1. What is the purpose of using the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to simplify and solve differential equations. It transforms a time-domain function into a frequency-domain function, making it easier to analyze and solve complex systems.

2. How do you express the Laplace Transform of a function?

The Laplace Transform of a function y(t) can be expressed in the form of the integral ∫0y(t)e-stdt, where s is the complex variable representing the frequency domain.

3. What is the purpose of expressing the Laplace Transform in a given form?

Expressing the Laplace Transform in a given form allows us to easily perform calculations and manipulate the function to solve differential equations. It also provides a way to analyze the behavior of the system in the frequency domain.

4. Can the Laplace Transform be applied to any function?

No, the Laplace Transform is only applicable to functions that are of exponential order, meaning that the function and all of its derivatives must approach 0 as t approaches infinity.

5. What are the advantages of using the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform allows for the solution of complex differential equations and systems of equations, which may be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It also provides a way to analyze the behavior of the system in the frequency domain, which can be useful for control and signal processing applications.