1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Express Laplace Transform of y(t) in given form.

1. Jun 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

y(t) solves the following IVP

y''(t) + 2y'(t) + 10y(t) = r(t)
    y(0) = 2
    y'(0) = 3

r(t) =
    0 if t < 0
    t if 0 ≤ t ≤ 1
    0 if t > 1

Demonstrate that the laplace transform of y(t) is

Y(s) = [itex]\frac{2s+7}{s^{2}+2s+7}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{e^{-s}}{s(s^{2}+2s+7)}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{s^{2}(s^{2}+2s+7)}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{e^{-s}}{s^{2}(s^{2}+2s+7)}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

H(t) is the heaviside step function which is 0 when t is less than 0 and 1 when t is greater than 1, (undefined at 0.)

Tables of common laplace transforms are available on the internet e.g. http://www.rapidtables.com/math/calculus/laplace_transform.htm

3. Attempt at a Solution
    Okay so I use the laplace transform on both sides of the equation with
    r(t) defined as t H(t) - t H(t-1)

When I calculate this I finish with

[itex]\frac{2s+7}{s^{2}+2s+7}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{s^{2}(s^{2}+2s+7)}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{e^{-s}}{s^{2}(s^{2}+2s+7)}[/itex]

This is similar to the needed answer however I seem to have dropped a factor of se-s on the right side somewhere and I cannot see any mistakes in the algebra.

Is my definition of r(t) correct and am I correct to say that the laplace transform of t H(t) - t H(t-1) is

[itex]\frac{1}{s^{2}}[/itex] -e[itex]^{s}[/itex]([itex]\frac{1}{s^{2}}[/itex])?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, ##r(t) = t(H(t) - H(t-1))## but you are missing a term in the transform. You can check it yourself by just calculating the integral$$
    \int_0^1 te^{-st}\, dt$$

4. Jun 13, 2013 #3
    OK, Thanks very much, I realised that I had applied the shifting theorem to an equation of the form:
    y(t) (H(t-a)) when y(t-a) (H(t-a)) is required

This dropped a H(t-1) term which was the missing term.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted